Glossary of engineering
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This glossary of engineering terms is a list of definitions about the fundamentals of engineering, its sub-disciplines, and related fields.
- Actuator- a motor that translates control signals into mechanical movement.
- Ammeter- an instrument that is used to measure current.
- Ampere- amp, a unit that describes the rate of flow of electricity (current).
- ANSI- American National Standards Institute.
- Artificial intelligence - the intelligence of machines and the branch of computer science that aims to create it.
- Automaton- an early self-operating robot, performing exactly the same actions, over and over.
- Autonomous vehicle - a vehicle equipped with an autopilot system, which is capable of driving from one point to another without input from a human operator.
- Biomimetic. See Bionics.
- Bionics- also known as biomimetics, biognosis, biomimicry, or bionical creativity engineering is the application of biological methods and systems found in nature to the study and design of engineering systems and modern technology.
- Compiler- a computer program that translates a high-level language into machine language.
- DC motor -
- Degrees of freedom - the extent to which a robot can move itself.
- Delta robot - a tripod linkage, used to construct fast-acting manipulators with a wide range of movement.
- Density -
- Farad -
- Faraday -
- FIRST, or For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology - is an organization founded by inventor Dean Kamen in 1989 in order to develop ways to inspire students in engineering and technology fields.
- Fluid -
- Focus -
- Gravity -
- Haptic- tactile feedback technology using the operator's sense of touch. Also sometimes applied to robot manipulators with their own touch sensitivity.
- Hexapod (platform)- a movable platform using six linear actuators. Often used in flight simulators they also have applications as a robotic manipulator.
- Hydraulics - the control of mechanical force and movement, generated by the application of liquid under pressure.
- Ion -
- Impedance- electrical impedance is the measure of the opposition that a circuit presents to the passage of a current when a voltage is applied.
- Kalman filter- a mathematical technique to estimate the value of a sensor measurement, from a series of intermittent and noisy values.
- Kelvin -
- Melting -
- pH -
- Pneumatics - the control of mechanical force and movement, generated by the application of compressed gas.
- Rheology -
- Robonaut - a development project conducted by NASA to create humanoid robots capable of using space tools and working in similar environments to suited astronauts.
- Robotics -
- Servo- a motor that moves to and maintains a set position under command, rather than continuously moving.
- Servomechanism - an automatic device that uses error-sensing negative feedback to correct the performance of a mechanism.
- Subsumption architecture - a robot architecture that uses a modular, bottom-up design beginning with the least complex behavioral tasks.
- Yield -