|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
Gluas (the Irish word for "movement") is a proposed tram or light rail system for Galway city, similar to the Luas found in Dublin. It has been proposed by a Galway-based lobby group. It has not received any government support to date. There are three proposed routes for the Gluas:
- Line 1: Ballybrit -> Mervue -> Wellpark -> Eyre Square -> Nun's Island -> Newcastle -> Dangen -> Rahoon
- Line 2: Eyre Square -> Newcastle -> Shantalla -> Taylors Hill -> Barna
- Line 3: Murrouoh -> Renmore -> Wellpark -> Terryland -> Newcastle -> Shantalla -> Taylors Hill
A fourth line is proposed for the future, once the Gluas has been established:
- Line 4: Eyre Square -> Claddagh -> Salthill -> Knocknacarra 
The Original proposal of three lines would require the construction of 64 stations, with park and ride facilities at Knocknacarra and Dangan.
At the time the project was proposed in June 2008, it was suggested that it would be completed within three years.
- Irish Independent June 5th 2008 http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ambitious-plan-to-give-galway-its-own-gluas-trams-1398547.html
- http://www.gluas.ie - Local website supporting Gluas.