|Jmol-3D images||Image 1|
|Molar mass||274.40 g mol−1|
| (what is: / ?)
Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Monolaurin, also known as glycerol monolaurate, glyceryl laurate or 1-Lauroyl-glycerol, is a monoglyceride. It is the mono-ester formed from glycerol and lauric acid. Its chemical formula is C15H30O4.
Monolaurin has antibacterial and other antimicrobial effects in vitro. It may therefore be useful in the treatment or prevention of various infections, but its clinical usefulness has not been established.
- Hegde, BM (2006). "View Point: Coconut Oil – Ideal Fat next only to Mother's Milk (Scanning Coconut's Horoscope)" (pdf). JIACM 7: 16–19.
- Preuss, H. G.; Echard, B.; Enig, M.; Brook, I.; Elliott, T. B. (2005). "Minimum inhibitory concentrations of herbal essential oils and monolaurin for gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria". Molecular and cellular biochemistry 272 (1–2): 29–34. doi:10.1007/s11010-005-6604-1. PMID 16010969.
- Carpo, B. G.; Verallo-Rowell, V. M.; Kabara, J. (2007). "Novel antibacterial activity of monolaurin compared with conventional antibiotics against organisms from skin infections: an in vitro study". Journal of drugs in dermatology : JDD 6 (10): 991–998. PMID 17966176.
- Isaacs, C. E. (2001). "The antimicrobial function of milk lipids". Advances in nutritional research 10: 271–285. PMID 11795045.
- Lieberman, Shari; Enig, Mary G.; Preuss, Harry G. (2006). "A Review of Monolaurin and Lauric Acid:Natural Virucidal and Bactericidal Agents". Alternative and Complementary Therapies 12 (6): 310. doi:10.1089/act.2006.12.310.
- Projan, S. J.; Brown-Skrobot, S.; Schlievert, P. M.; Vandenesch, F.; Novick, R. P. (1994). "Glycerol monolaurate inhibits the production of beta-lactamase, toxic shock toxin-1, and other staphylococcal exoproteins by interfering with signal transduction". Journal of bacteriology 176 (14): 4204–4209. PMC 205630. PMID 8021206.
- "Microbicide protects monkeys from HIV-like virus". Nature. 4 March 2009. doi:10.1038/news.2009.135.