A screenshot of gnome-screensaver prior to GNOME 3
|Stable release||3.12.2 (May 20, 2014[±])|
|Preview release||3.13.3 (June 26, 2014[±])|
On these systems, the screen savers themselves still come from the XScreenSaver collection. gnome-screensaver is just the user interface.
The gnome-screensaver interface is designed for improved integration with a GNOME desktop, including themeability, language support, and human interface guidelines compliance. However, it no longer runs any screensavers and is more properly referred to as a screen blanker.
Compared to the front end included with XScreenSaver, gnome-screensaver has a simplified interface but less customizability. For instance, users may not select which screensavers to select at random – either only one is selected or the program randomly selects from the whole list. In addition, the inability to configure individual screensavers and the developers' response to this issue has been criticized by some users. It also lacks a setting to control cycling through different screensavers.
In GNOME 3, gnome-screensaver has been drastically simplified, supporting only screen blanking and no graphical screen savers.
- "GNOME 3.12.1 release notes". GNOME mailing list. 2014-04-17. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "core 3.13.3".
- "apps 3.13.3".
- "Bug 316654 - no ability to configure the different screensavers", Bugzilla (The GNOME Project), 2005-09-18, retrieved 2011-12-11
- Campagna, Giovanni (2011-03-21). "Re: What is the status of the screensaver in GNOME3?". gnome-shell mailing list. http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2011-March/msg00340.html.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- XScreenSaver: On Toolkit Dialogs
|This GNOME-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|