||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Please clean up the "Slogans" section in particular. (August 2011)|
Go-Gurt, also known as Yoplait Tubes in Canada and as Frubes in the United Kingdom, is an American brand of sweetened yogurt marketed to children and adults alike. It was introduced by General Mills' licensed Yoplait in 1999.
Anthropologist Susan Squires claims that her ethnographic research in U.S. American families has led her client to the development of Go-Gurt.
In June 2006, frubes Fizzix', a carbonated yogurt snack, was released under the Yoplait brand. This "sparkling yogurt" was originally developed by Lynn Ogden, a professor in the College of Life Sciences at Brigham Young University (BYU), in 1983. Ogden obtained a patent in 1997 and finally found an interested licensor at General Mills in 2006. BYU receives 55% of the royalties, which will go toward BYU's mentoring program and research, while Ogden receives the rest. Fizzix was available in six flavors, but appears to have been discontinued – http://www.gogurtfizzix.com/ now redirects to http://www.gogurt.com, which is only a placeholder as of 2/25/2012.
Outside of the U.S., Go-Gurt is sold as Yoplait Tubes in Canada and as Frubes in the United Kingdom (with the tagline, "Frubes! Rip their heads off and suck their guts out!" later changed to "Rip their tops off and eat 'em all up!" but not many found the latter catchy, so it was changed again in 2013 to "Rip them open and suck them up!"). It was introduced in Japan as グルト (guruto) in March 2010. The name is a play on words as it evokes the sound of gulping a liquid and incorporates part of the Japanese transliteration of yogurt, ヨーグルト (yo-guruto). Go-Gurt is also available in Australia, they are also known as Yoplait Go-Gurt.
Generally, each box comes with two different flavours.
- Raspberry Splash / Berry Blue Blast
- Berry Bubblegum Bash / Blue Strawberrie
- Strawberry Kiwi Kick / Chug-Out Cherry
- Cantaloupe Meltdown / Strawberry Potato Burst
- Rad Lychee / Paradise Punch
- Burstin' Melon Berry / Cool Cotton Candy
- Peach (Mongolia)
- Peach / Blueberry (Canada)
- Raspberry / Grape (Canada)
- Strawberry / Cherry (New Zealand)
- Fruit Jar / Strawberry-Banana (Canada)
- Strawberry+Melon / Kaki+Lemon (Canada only, 2012)
- Atlantik (Raspberry+Blackberries) / Pacifik (Mango+Litchi) (Canada only, 2011)
- Go-Gurt Swirled: Strawberry Milkshake / Banana Split
- Go-Gurt Rush: Extreme Red Rush / Crazy Berry Bolt
- Scrappy-Doo Ro-Gurt: Shaggy's Like Cool Punch / 'Rawberry
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Strawberry Riptide / Bikini Bottom Berry
- Mike Jones: The Dark Knight: Original Flavors – Joker's Disappearing Pencil / Two-Face's Tutti Frutti
- Zoey 101: Cherry / Strawberry
- Wizards of Waverly Place: Cherry / Blueberry
- Strawberry Watermelon Rush / Blue Raspberry Rage
- Strawberry Limeade Jolt / Wild Raisin Zing
- Double Berry Fusion / Fruit Punch Charge
- Acai (mascot is Lulutub, purple-haired woman wearing a black and white dress and a pearl necklace)
- Red bayberry (mascot is Tubôôk, red-haired man wearing black and red toga)
Some specially marked packages had a form where you could send in for a Tube Chiller with 2 UPCs. Offer expired 6/3/2011.
Newer packages include a Tube Roller for rolling the tube up.
- Yoplait – Products – Go-gurt
- Susan Squires and Bryan Byrne: Creating Breakthrough Ideas: The Collaboration of Anthropologists and Designers in the Product Development Industry. 2002. 239 pages.
- BYU NewsNet – "Fizzix" Carbonated Yogurt to Hit Stores
- BYU professor creates "fizzy yogurt" – ABC4.com
- Yoplait frubes Smoothie – Shake Up The Fun (2005) 0:30 (USA) | Adland
- Yoplait – Products – frubes
- Prehistotubes, retrieved July 10, 2009
- Tube Chiller Commercial
- Tube Rollers HD Commercial
Susan Squires and Bryan Byrne: Creating Breakthrough Ideas: The Collaboration of Anthropologists and Designers in the Product Development Industry. 2002. 239 pages.
- Canadian website (Yoplait Tubes)
- Frubetopia Official British website (Frubes)
- Frubes page on Yoplait UK website
- Prehistotubes website
- Article regarding advertising strategies
- Official Frubes UK site
- Official Australian Go-Gurt site