|Headquarters||San Mateo, CA , United States|
|Key people||Gary Lipkowitz (COO)|
|Type of site||Software-As-A-Service|
|Available in||English, Japanese, Spanish|
|Launched||November 1, 2007|
GoAnimate (sometimes stylized as Go!Animate) is a cloud-based platform for creating and distributing animated videos. It allows users to develop both narrative videos, in which characters speak with lip-sync and move around, and video presentations, in which a voice-over narrator speaks over images and props, which may also move around. The service is provided on a freemium basis to consumers, and has multiple subscription levels available for businesses. GoAnimate provides users with drag-and-drop tools that the company's website indicates can be used to access thousands of character models, backdrops, and other assets to create scenario-based videos - like political videos depicted during the 2012 presidential campaign. The platform offers text-to-speech character voices with customizable environments. It is also commonly know for grounded videos.
GoAnimate was founded in 2007 by Alvin Hung. It originated from Hung’s desire to create an animated story for his wife, evolving to an animated video production tool. Go!Animate is a founding member of YouTube creation tool partner program, launched in 2009.
In 2012, eMarketer projected that video would be the fastest-growing online ad format in 2012, with spending to increase nearly 55 percent over 2011. Business2community.com reports that the popularity of video as a medium to communicate information results from its ability to effectively tell stories, spread messages and encourage action. It notes that bloggers who may not be skilled writers are turning to video as well.
In September 2013, GoAnimate relaunched with a new look, new features, and the removal of GoBucks and GoPoints. The Video Creator was renovated in October 2013, and the Character Creator was revamped in late November 2013.
- Sciacca, Annie (August 16, 2013). "Alvin Hung: Founder & CEO, GoAnimate". Entrepreneur profile. San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Who we are". About GoAnimate. goanimate.com. 2012. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- Kessler, Sarah. "6 Free Sites for Creating Your Own Animations". mashable.com. Retrieved October 27, 2010.
- Ganci, Joe. "Go and Animate with Go!Animate". Learning Solutions Magazine. The eLearning Guild. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- Johnson, Abby. "Look Out Politicians – Animated Videos Just Got Easier To Make". Web Pro News. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Cavna, Michael (October 17, 2011). "GoAnimate goes political: You can make and post your own election-season cartoons". Washington Post. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- Chudleigh, Joel (December 11, 2012). "How to Use Online Video to Enhance your Brand". business2community.com. Retrieved May 19, 2014.