Goa Institute of Management
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
|Goa Institute of Management|
|Motto||Next Marking Management Education|
|Type||Education and research institution|
|Director||Dr. Sunil Rai|
|Postgraduates||240 per year|
|Location||Sanquelim, Goa, India|
|Campus||Fully residential, 50 acres|
The autonomous school is governed by a Board, and offers a full-time MBA (PGDBM) program (2 years) and executive MBA (3 years) and also is a resource centre for PhD programs in management for Goa University. Current MBA classes have a size of approximately 240 students. GIM was ranked 16th in the 2008 MINT Survey of private B-schools in India.
- 1 History
- 2 Courses
- 3 Campuses
- 4 Affiliations and linkages
- 5 Events
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Located at Sanquelim as well as Ribandar, the business school was founded in 1993 when Romuald D'Souza (ex Director - XLRI, Jamshedpur and XIMB, Bhubaneswar) moved from XIM, Bhubaneswar to create a centre of learning and excellence in Goa. He along with Anwar Ali, C.M. Ramesh, Ranjini Swamy, V. Gopal, Suma Damodaran, and Uday Damodaran started the institute.
Similar to most other B-schools in India, GIM currently offers diplomas in management and not degrees. The institute currently offers the following programs.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management
The Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is the flagship programme of GIM. It is a two year, full-time residential programme. The first year comprises a core programme consisting of compulsory courses on the basics of every discipline in management aimed at developing a common foundation in management theory. The second year of the course consists of electives designed to cater to students' interest and to develop proficiency in the area of their choice. Students need to select one Major and one Minor specialization from among the following offered - Marketing, Finance, HR, Operations. The coursework also requires the completion of an internship between the two years lasting for a total of eight to nine weeks. The current intake of the PGDM course is 240 students per year.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Healthcare Management
Started from the 2013 academic year, the Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Healthcare Management (PGDM–HCM) programme is the newest course offered by GIM. As with the flagship PGDM course, it is a two year, full-time residential programme. The programme is expected to be run out of the heritage Ribandar campus for the first few years before shifting to the Sanquelim campus. It has a total intake of 60 students per year.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Part Time
The Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Part Time (PGDM–PT) programme is a three-year part-time MBA programme designed for working professionals. The curriculum is designed to develop both conceptual and skill based competencies. It broadly follows the pattern proposed by the AICTE. It consists of core courses offered in the first year, elective courses offered in the second year, and project work in the third year. It is run from the heritage Ribandar campus. It has a total intake of 60 students per year.
The campus was initially situated on the banks of the Mandovi River, in the Santa Casa de Misericordia in Ribandar. The building in which the school is housed is supposed to be one of the earliest hospitals in India and was converted from a hospital building to a business school campus in 1993. Currently only the part-time executive MBA course is run from this campus. The Ribandar building has Mitsubishi Electric air conditioners installed.
From the year 2010 GIM began shifting most of its academic courses to a new state-of-the-art campus located around 23 kilometers from the old one. The new campus at Sanquelim in Sattari is located on a sprawling 50 acre plot surrounded by the idyllic foothills of the Western Ghats. The entire project cost has been estimated at approximately Rs 63 crore.The new campus was inaugurated by Ashok Ganguly, Rajya Sabha MP and former Chairman of Hindustan Lever Ltd on the 24th of March 2012.
The Sanquelim campus is primarily divided into the following :
- Admin block
- Faculty block
- Academic block
- The academic block with the capacity of accommodating 480 students, has 14 spacious 60 and 30 seater classrooms each equipped with overhead projectors and screens. The entire building is centrally air conditioned and each classroom is equipped with an RFID system to record student attendance.
- The library is operational 24 hours a day and has a collection of over 7175 titles, subscriptions to around 165 Indian and International journals, a tie-up with the University of Ohio, USA, which assists in updation of titles. The library also provides access to annual reports of around 1000 companies, stock exchange directory, CMIE, and various online databases and sources of information. With its RFID book issuing system, students are able to check in and check out books as and when they wish.
- The multi purpose hall
- Student hostels
- The institute currently has 2 double seater and 3 single seater hostels. Each hostel is equipped with coin operated washing machines and driers for the convenience of students. As part of the green design initiative of the campus all hot water for the bathrooms is heated using solar panels on the hostel roofs.A 6th International Students Hostel with air-conditioned rooms and attached bathrooms is being built and is expected to open by mid-2013.
- Faculty residence
- Approved by the All India Council of Technical Education of the Government of India (AICTE) for offering postgraduate courses in management at the MBA level.
- Recognised by the Government of Goa and by many of the major industrial corporations in the country
- Associate member of the International Association of Jesuit Business Schools, which facilitates linkages for collaboration and exchange among some 60 Business Schools in 25 different countries in various parts of the world.
- Hosted joint study projects for two years in which 12 MBA students of Ohio University, under the guidance of their faculty, have worked with 12 GIM students in teams of four on projects assigned to them by local industries.
- Ongoing tie-up with the University of Antwerp (Universiteit Antwerpen) for facilitating student interaction and joint study.
- Student exchange program with Fachhochshule Ingolstadt, Germany (up to 5 students)
- Faculty and student exchange with the Universidade Catolica Portuguesa ( MBA Catolica )
It is a lecture series for students and faculty by eminent personalities organised around the academic year. Some of the most recent speakers have been:
- Anil Agarwal, Founder and Executive Chairman, Vedanta Resources
- Prahlad Kakkar,Film Director
- Bjørn Lomborg,author of The Skeptical Environmentalist
- Prakash Telang, MD, Tata Motors,
- Piyush Pandey, Executive Chairman & National Creative Director Ogilvy & Mather India
Samriddhi, a word which means Prosperity in English, is an annual, student run, Business Conference that takes place at the Goa Institute of Management, India. One of the largest Business School Conferences, it is a three-day event that features prominent speakers and participants from colleges all over India.
The main event during Samriddhi is the Business Conference where speakers from diverse business backgrounds and interests come together and speak about topics related to the theme of that year's conference. Other events also that take place during the course of the three-day Conference including quizzes, case studies, and a photography competition.
WIZBIZ is the annual corporate quiz organised by the Marketing Club of GIM. Started in 2000 and envisioned to boost the student –corporate interaction, WIZBIZ has grown from strength to strength. This truly national quizzing event has already created a brand recall for itself in the mind of QUIZZING aficionados through its unique format. It sees participation from some of the best and most prestigious establishments of the country and several notable quizzers including national winners of quizzes like Tata Crucible and Brand Equity.
Walk for India
Held on the 15th of August every year, this is a medium through which the students express their solidarity with a social concern. Walk for India this year aimed to spread awareness about child abuse through the campaign "Stop Child Abuse".
- Mrunmay Das, CIO, Azim Premji Investments (P) Ltd
- Puneet Mahajan, CFO, GE India
- Gagan Banga, CEO, Indiabulls Financial Services
- "A management success", Frontline, Volume 21 - Issue 25, December 4–17, 2004
- "Goa Institute of Management - PGDM". Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Goa Institute of Management - PGDM-HCM". Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Goa Institute on Management - PGDM-Part Time". Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "New campus of Goa Institute of Management at Sanquelim inaugurated". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Interview with P F X D'Lima - Director of Goa Institute of Management". Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Hochschule Ingolstadt_Aktuell(non-english)
- "Goa Institute of Management-Student Activities-Ribandar Talks". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Goa Institute of Management-Student Clubs-Mecca". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Notional Worth, Real Money
- Business Goa,"Beyond Academic Interests"