God Gave Me You
|"God Gave Me You"|
|Single by Dave Barnes|
|from the album What We Want, What We Get|
|Released||January 26, 2010|
|Genre||Contemporary Christian music|
|Label||Razor & Tie|
|Producer(s)||Dave Barnes, Ed Cash|
|Dave Barnes singles chronology|
"God Gave Me You" is a song written and originally recorded by American contemporary Christian music singer Dave Barnes. It was released in January 2010 as the lead single from the album, What We Want, What We Get.
Barnes wrote the song after the title came to him while he was walking through London, England. He told Country Weekly that "the lyrics just flowed together with the melody" when he wrote it. Barnes also said that he was inspired by his wife, Annie, who supported him "through all the ups and downs of an artist's career." After releasing it, he said that he received mail from fans who said that the song's message "saved marriages or became a theme for a couple's relationship."
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||21|
|US Christian Songs (Billboard)||13|
Blake Shelton version
|"God Gave Me You"|
|Single by Blake Shelton|
|from the album Red River Blue|
|Released||July 25, 2011|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville|
|Blake Shelton singles chronology|
In 2011, country music singer Blake Shelton covered the song for his album Red River Blue. It was released in July 2011 as the second single from this album. Shelton heard Barnes' version of the song on a contemporary Christian station, and said that it inspired him to propose to then-girlfriend Miranda Lambert; the music video included footage from Lambert the night before their wedding. on November 30, the song received a nomination in 54th Grammy Awards for Best Country Song.
Jessica Phillips of Country Weekly called the song "the romantic zenith of the album". Rolling Stone reviewer Will Hermes said that it was a "spirited cover" that "makes the most of its big, sculpted hooks". Jonathan Keefe of Slant Magazine was less favorable, saying in his review of the album, "His weakness for overwrought, schmaltzy pop ballads rears its head on second single 'God Gave Me You,' which sounds like something Bryan Adams or Foreigner would have recorded 20 years ago." Similarly, Melissa Mairz of Entertainment Weekly thought that it was a "schmaltzy power ballad". Engine 145 writer Karlie Justus gave it a thumbs-down, with her review saying that Shelton's "honest, vibrant vocal performance is nearly canceled out by a tinny instrumental mix of anonymous background vocals and a looping drum beat".
The music video was directed by Trey Fanjoy and premiered in September 2011.
"God Gave Me You" debuted at number 56 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of July 23, 2011, and it debuted at number 65 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of July 11, 2011. On the chart dated October 29, 2011, "God Gave Me You" became Shelton's fifth consecutive Number One single and his tenth overall. It has sold 2,501,000 copies in the United States as of November 2014.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||38|
|US Billboard Hot 100||22|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||29|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||18|
|US Billboard Hot 100||94|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||92|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,501,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
"Long Hot Summer"
by Keith Urban
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
October 29–November 12, 2011
by Eli Young Band
- Leahey, Andrew. "What We Want, What We Get". Allmusic. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- Dunham, Nancy (31 October 2011). "Behind the Song: London Calling". Country Weekly 18 (45): 16–17. ISSN 1074-3235.
- "Fresh New Music: May 2010". VH1.com. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- "Dave Barnes Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Dave Barnes.
- "Dave Barnes Album & Song Chart History". Billboard Christian Songs for Dave Barnes. Prometheus Global Media.
- Phillips, Jessica. "Red River Blue by Blake Shelton". Country Weekly. Retrieved July 17, 2011.
- "Red River Blue review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- Keefe, Jonathan (July 11, 2011), "Blake Shelton: Red River Blue", Slant Magazine, retrieved July 12, 2011
- "Red River Blue review". Entertainment Weekly. July 14, 2011. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Justus, Karlie (8 August 2011). "Blake Shelton — "God Gave Me You"". Engine 145. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- Matt Bjorke (November 26, 2014). "Country Music’s Top 30 Digital Singles: November 26, 2014". Roughstock. Sales figures given here
- "Blake Shelton Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Blake Shelton. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Blake Shelton. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Blake Shelton. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Blake Shelton. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Blake Shelton – God Gave Me You". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 15, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH