|The Rt Revd
PhD BD AKC
|Assistant Bishop of Leicester|
|Diocese||Diocese of Leicester|
|Other posts||Honorary assistant bishop in Portsmouth (2008–present)
Bishop of St John's (1980–1984)
|Ordination||1955 (deacon); 1956 (priest)|
|Born||6 November 1930|
|Parents||William & Vera Hickey|
|Spouse||Sally Hawtree (m. 1957)|
|Children||4 sons; 2 daughters|
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Ashby was educated at The King's School, Chester and King's College London. Ordained deacon in 1955 and priest a year later, his first post was as a Curate at St Peter, St Helier, Morden. After a spell as Priest in charge of St Mark Mission he emigrated to South Africa. Here he rose steadily in the church hierarchy, being successively: Subwarden of St Paul's College, Grahamstown; Rector of Alice, Eastern Cape; a senior lecturer in Hebrew at Rhodes University; Dean of Grahamstown and Archdeacon in the Diocese of Grahamstown; a Diocesan Bishop; and, finally, Professor of Divinity at the University of the Witwatersrand. Assistant bishop (full-time) Diocese of Leicester 1988-95. In retirement he served the church as an Assistant Bishop within the Diocese of George in South Africa, and continues to serve as Honorary Assistant bishop, Diocese of Portsmouth since 2008.
Bishop Ashby is married to Sally Ashby (née Hawtree), and has six children: Garmon Ashby, John-Mark Ashby, Mary Jackson, Philip Ashby, Ruth Ashby, and Charles Theodoret Ashby.
- Theodoret of Cyrrhus as exegete of the Old Testament. Rhodes University. 1972.
- Sacrifice: its nature and purpose. SCM. 1988. ISBN 978-0-334-01437-9.
- Go Out and Meet God: A Commentary on the Book of Exodus. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. January 1998. ISBN 978-0-8028-4332-6.
- The Times, Tuesday, Jun 25, 1985; pg. 14; Issue 62173; col D Resignation of the Bishop of St John's
- various; A & C Black Publishers Ltd (2011). Who's Who 2012. A&C Black. ISBN 978-1-4081-4229-5. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Parish details
- Church details
- Oxford University Press (1976). Crockford's Clerical Directory: A Reference Book of the Clergy of the Provinces of Canterbury and York and of Other Anglican Provinces and Dioceses. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-200008-8. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Ashby G.W.E.C.". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 21 Sept 2013. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help) (Subscription required)
- Frank Northen Magill; Alison Aves (1998). Dictionary of World Biography. Taylor & Francis. pp. 1140–. ISBN 978-1-57958-040-7.
|Anglican Church of Southern Africa titles|
|Dean of Grahamstown
Roy Barker (priest)
|Bishop of St John's
|This South African biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an individual Anglican bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|