Godrej Consumer Products Limited
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2012)|
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2012)|
|Traded as||NSE: GODREJCP
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Key people||Adi Godrej, Chairman
A Mahendran, Managing Director
|Products||Toilet soaps, hair colour, household insecticides, liquid detergents, toiletries and others|
|Revenue||37.93 billion (US$690 million) (2010-11)|
|Net income||4.81 billion (US$88 million) (2010-11)|
Godrej Consumer Products Limited (GCPL) is an Indian consumer goods company based in Mumbai, India. GCPL’s product range includes soaps, hair colourants, toiletries and liquid detergents. Some of the leading brands are ‘Cinthol’, ‘Godrej Fair Glow’, ‘Godrej No.1’ and ‘Godrej Shikakai’ in soaps, ‘Godrej Powder Hair Dye’, ‘Renew’, ‘ColourSoft’ in hair colourants and ‘Ezee’ liquid detergent. GCPL has five manufacturing facilities in India at Malanpur (Madhya Pradesh), Guwahati (Assam), Baddi- Thana (Himachal Pradesh), Baddi- Katha (Himachal Pradesh) and Sikkim.
The Consumer Products business was part of the erstwhile Godrej Soaps Limited (GSL) and was demerged into Godrej Consumer Products Limited in April 2001, pursuant to a scheme of demerger approved by the Hon’ble High Court of Judicature, Mumbai, dated 14 March 2001.
GCPL has an international presence through the acquisitions of Keyline Brands Limited (United Kingdom) in 2005, Rapidol (Pty) Limited in 2006, and Godrej Global Mid East FZE in 2007 and the joint venture with SCA Hygiene Products AB, Sweden in 2007. GCPL acquired 49% stake in Godrej Sara Lee Limited (GSLL), an unlisted joint venture between the Godrej Group and Sara Lee Corporation USA in early 2010. Subsequently in May 2010 it entered into an agreement to acquire the remaining 51% stake. It has acquired Megasari, a leading FMCG player in household care sector in Indonesia and has agreed to acquire Tura, a leading personal care player in Nigeria.
Business Categories 
GCPL operates in the domestic and international markets in the ‘Personal and Household Care’ segment. Some of the categories are soaps, hair colorants, toiletries and liquid detergents. Recently, it made an entry into fast-growing air freshner category by launching a new fragrance product "aer" in the market.
• In the soaps category, GCPL brands compete with ‘Lux’ and ‘Lifebuoy’- Hindustan Unilever Limited, ‘Nirma’ – Nirma.
• In the hair colours category, its products compete for market share with ‘Black Rose’ ‘Super Vasmol’ and ‘L’Oreal’.
• Competitors in shaving cream category are ‘Gillette’, ‘Palmolive’ and ‘Old Spice’.
• GCPL’s talcum powder brands, compete with ‘Ponds’- Hindustan Unilever and ‘Denim’.
• In the liquid detergent category GCPL brands ‘Ezee’ and ‘Genteel’, compete with ‘Safewash- Wipro’ and ‘Surf Excel- Hindustan Unilever Limited’.
Manufacturing Facilities 
GCPL currently operates five manufacturing facilities in India at Malanpur (Madhya Pradesh), Guwahati (Assam), Baddi- Thana (Himachal Pradesh), Baddi- Katha (Himachal Pradesh) and Sikkim. Further, its manufacturing facilities located abroad at South Africa produce a range of personal care products and hair colour products.
Sales & Distribution network 
GCPL has a widespread distribution network across India. It has a presence in both the urban and rural markets, enabling it to benefit from the opportunities in both segments. It has a sales team which comprise of over 250 staff spread across the country. It has a network of 33 C&F agents and as on 29 February 2008. It had 1,273 distributors,142 super stockists and 3,175 sub stockists to support the sales team in India. Its distributors and sub stockists cover around 650,000 retailers in India. GCPL has linked its major distributors in India through a system called ‘Sampark’, a collaborative planning, forecasting and replenishment system with its ERP system leading to reduced inventory levels.
Research and Product Development 
The research and development activities broadly comprise of various processes for developing new products, standardising new analytical methods and identifying substitutes for key raw materials. Through this research and development centre, GCPL continuously interact with consumers to obtain feedback on its products and information obtained is leveraged to complement new product development activities. The Godrej Research & Development Centre is recognised by the Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi.
Size of the company 
As of 30 November 2007, it employed over 1,349 full-time employees.
- "FY 2010-11 Results".
- "Ambitious Godrej sniffs growth opportunity in air fresheners". 10 July 2012.