Gods of Egypt (film)
|Gods of Egypt|
|Directed by||Alex Proyas|
|Produced by||Basil Iwanyk
|Written by||Alex Proyas
|Music by||Marco Beltrami|
|Cinematography||Peter Menzies Jr.|
|Edited by||Richard Learoyd|
Mystery Clock Cinema
Thunder Road Pictures
|Distributed by||Summit Entertainment|
Gods of Egypt is an upcoming American adventure epic fantasy film directed by Alex Proyas and co-written with Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless. The film stars Brenton Thwaites, Gerard Butler, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Courtney Eaton and Geoffrey Rush.
Magic, monsters, gods and madness reign throughout the palaces and pyramids of the Nile River Valley in this action-adventure inspired by the classic mythology of Egypt. With the survival of mankind hanging in the balance, an unexpected hero takes a thrilling journey to save the world and rescue his true love. Set (Gerard Butler), the merciless god of darkness, has usurped Egypt's throne, plunging the once peaceful and prosperous empire into chaos and conflict. With only a handful of heroic rebels opposing Set's savage rule, Bek (Brenton Thwaites), a bold and defiant mortal, enlists the aid of powerful god Horus (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) in an unlikely alliance against the evil overlord. As their breathtaking battle against Set and his henchmen take them into the afterlife and across the heavens, both god and mortal must pass tests of courage and sacrifice if they hope to prevail in the spectacular final confrontation.
- Brenton Thwaites as Bek, a human thief.
- Gerard Butler as Set, a god of desert, storms and chaos in ancient Egyptian religion.
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Horus, a god of the sky and son of Osiris.
- Courtney Eaton as Zaya, a slave girl cursed by Set.
- Geoffrey Rush as Ra, a god of the sun and father of Set and Osiris.
- Élodie Yung as Hathor, the goddess of fertility, love, beauty and music.
- Chadwick Boseman as Thoth, the god of wisdom
- Bruce Spence
- Bryan Brown
- Emma Booth
- Abbey Lee Kershaw
- Rachael Blake
- Robyn Nevin
- Paula Arundell
- Alexander England
- Goran D. Kleut
- Yaya Deng
- Rufus Sewell
On May 17, 2012, Summit Entertainment set Alex Proyas to direct the epic fantasy film. He'll co-wrote with Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, while Basil Iwanyk will be producing through his Thunder Road Pictures along with Proyas' Mystery Clock Cinema. On December 16, 2013, Summit set the epic fantasy film for a February 12, 2016 release. On June 17, an original synopsis of the film was released. Proof Inc will be contributing previsualization and on set visualizations for Gods of Egypt. 
On 5 June 2013, actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has signed up to star in the film, he'll play Horus, a God of the sky. On September 24, 2013, Gerard Butler also joined the film's cast to play the role of Set, a God of the desert, storms and foreigners in ancient Egyptian religion. On the same day Geoffrey Rush also closed a deal to join the epic fantasy Gods of Egypt for Summit, he'll play the role of Ra, a God of the Sun and also father of Set and Osiris. Later on 7 October, Summit added Brenton Thwaites as a lead actor in the fantasy film's cast, he will play Bek, a human thief. On December 12, 2013, a new actress Courtney Eaton joined the film as a lead actress, she will be playing the role of Zaya, a slave girl who is cursed by Set. On January 30, 2014, Chadwick Boseman has signed on to star in the film as Thoth, the god of wisdom. On February 19, 2014 Élodie Yung joined the cast of the film, she'll play the goddess, Hathor. On Match 20, all other cast was also revealed as filming began, which includes Bruce Spence, Bryan Brown, Emma Booth, Abbey Lee Kershaw, Rachael Blake, Robyn Nevin, Paula Arundell, Alexander England, Goran D. Kleut and Yaya Deng. On April 2, it was reported the entire lead cast are white actors, despite the film being set in Egypt with (purportedly) ancient Egyptian characters.
The shooting of the film was set to take place in Australia in early 2014. On February 24, 2014 the news confirmed that New South Wales' government has won the bid from Victoria's government to host the film's production, set to begin shoot in Sydney in April. The state's Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner told media that the film's production would create 400 jobs which would contribute $75 million to the state's economy. The film will also be shot in Melbourne.
The principal photography of the $150 million budgeted film began on March 20, 2014 at the Fox Studios in Sydney. On May 27, Butler and Elodie Yung were spotted in full costume during the filming of some scenes in Centennial Park in Sydney along with extras.
- Frater, Patrick (20 March 2014). "‘Gods,’ ‘San Andreas’ Set to Start in Australia". variety.com. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Kit, Borys (17 May 2012). "Alex Proyas to Helm 'Gods of Egypt' for Summit". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Summit Entertainment Dates Allegiant, Gods of Egypt and Step Up All In". comingsoon.net. December 16, 2013. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Gallagher, Brian (17 June 2014). "Official 'Victor Frankenstein' and 'Gods of Egypt' Synopses Released". movieweb.com. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (7 October 2013). "Brenton Thwaites Board Summit’s ‘Gods of Egypt’". variety.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (24 September 2013). "Gerard Butler Circling Summit’s ‘Gods Of Egypt’". deadline.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (5 June 2013). "‘Game of Thrones’ Star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in Talks to Lead ‘Gods of Egypt’". thewrap.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Kit, Borys (12 December 2013). "'Fury Road' Actress Lands Female Lead in Summit's 'Gods of Egypt'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Kit, Borys (24 September 2013). "Geoffrey Rush Joining Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Gerard Butler in 'Gods of Egypt'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Yamato, Jen (19 February 2014). "Elodie Yung Joins Summit’s ‘Gods of Egypt’". deadline.com. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (30 January 2014). "Chadwick Boseman Set For Summit’s ‘Gods Of Egypt’". deadline.com. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Groves, Don (21 March 2014). "Gods of Egypt rolls in Sydney". if.com.au. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Hamad, Ruby (2 April 2014). "All lead actors in The Gods of Egypt will be white". dailylife.com.au. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Goundry, Nick (11 November 2013). "Gods of Egypt to choose between Sydney and Melbourne filming locations". thelocationguide.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Frater, Patrick (24 February 2014). "Summit’s ‘Gods of Egypt’ Heads for Australia Shoot". variety.com. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Maddox, Garry (24 February 2014). "Interstate battle for Gods of Egypt movie decided". smh.com.au. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- "Gerard Butler’s buff physique shows why he’s fit for the leading part in ‘Gods of Egypt’". dailytelegraph.com.au. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- CHESTERTON, LUCY (27 May 2014). "Move over Russell Crowe, there's a new gladiator in town! Gerard Butler dons Roman skirt and sandals to film scenes for new movie Gods Of Egypt". dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Gods of Egypt at the Internet Movie Database
- Gods of Egypt at the Box Office Mojo
- Gods of Egypt at the Rotten Tomatoes