Thatched cottages in Godshill
Godshill shown within the Isle of Wight
|OS grid reference|
|Unitary authority||Isle of Wight|
|Ceremonial county||Isle of Wight|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Isle of Wight|
|Ambulance||Isle of Wight|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|UK Parliament||Isle of Wight|
The name 'Godshill' is said to originate from the foundations of the local church, which dates back to the 14th century, being moved from the bottom of the hill to its present location on the top of the hill on three occasions whilst it was being built. This was taken to be a sign from God that the church should be built on the hill, hence the name Godshill. The history of the village is tied up with Appuldurcombe House and The Worsley family featuring as the main house of the area in the nearby village of Wroxall.
Godshill has pubs called the "Griffin"- featuring a large griffin-shaped maze and children's playground, and "The Taverners".
Godshill model village
Since 1952 Godshill has been the home of a model village of itself and Shanklin's old village at a scale of 1:10. It is so detailed and on such a large scale that it contains a scale model of the model village. Within that second model there is a third, even smaller model of the village.
All Saints' Church
- "English Parishes and Welsh communities N&C 2004". www.statistics.gov.uk. 2004. Retrieved 2007-05-03.
- "2001 Census Neighbourhood Statistics - Civil Parishes on the Isle of Wight". www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- "Pictures of England - Location map of Godshill". www.picturesofengland.com. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Godshill on the Isle of Wight". www.shalfleet.net. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Netguide to Godshill on the Isle of Wight". WightStay. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Isle of Wight Festival History - 1968". www.isleofwightfestvial.com. Archived from the original on 2008-07-02. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Isle of Wight Tourist Guide - The Griffin in Godshill". www.isleofwighttouristguide.com. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Southern Vectis - bus route 2". www.islandbuses.info. 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Southern Vectis - bus route 3". www.islandbuses.info. 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Isle of Wight Attractions - The Model Village, Godshill". www.iowight.com. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Godshill.|
|This Isle of Wight location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|