Goerke's Corners, Wisconsin
|Goerke's Corners, Wisconsin|
|Former unincorporated community|
|Elevation||869 ft (265 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1577616|
Goerke's Corners (also spelled Goerkes Corner, Goerkes Corners or Goerke's Corner) is a former unincorporated community in the Town of Brookfield, in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, United States, at latitude 43°02'11" N and longitude 088°09'58" W. It is now the location of a major highway intersection, and the site of a park-and-ride lot.
This crossroads was originally called Storyville, after one Augustus Story who settled in the area about 1837. It was later known as Blodgett or Blodgett's Corners, probably for one Chester Blodgett who arrived in 1843. The Watertown Plank Road between Milwaukee and Watertown was built through this area during 1848-54, and a spur to Waukesha in 1850. The current name comes from Frederick Goerke, blacksmith, wagonmaker, and innkeeper in this area in the 1870s. A post office was located there (under the name Blodgett) from 1885 to 1895, with Frederick Goerke as postmaster.
The first segment of Interstate 94 through this area was opened in 1958. By the late 20th century, this intersection, now involving Wisconsin Highway 164, U.S. Route 18 and Interstate 94, had become one of the busiest in southeastern Wisconsin, and is the westernmost major waypoint in local radio and television traffic reports. It is the site of a park-and-ride lot used by Badger Bus, the Milwaukee County Transit System, and others. The former site of the settlement is now taken up by shopping centers, office buildings and their parking lots.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Goerke's Corners, Wisconsin
- "Goerke's Corners, Wisconsin". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- "Term: Goerke's Corners [origin of place name]" Dictionary of Wisconsin History; access date July 19, 2011
- "Local History Index: Historic Places Index: Land Divisions Within Waukesha County: Town of Brookfield ~ Goerke's Corners (Sections 29-30)" Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. website; access date July 19, 2011
- State Highway Commission of Wisconsin, "Official Dedication Program of the State Highway Commission of Wisconsin for the opening of the first completed segment of Interstate Highway 94 in Waukesha County, Sept. 4, 1958"
- "Travel > Travel assistance > Park and ride > Waukesha County > Waukesha County park and ride lot 67-35, Goerke's Corners (I-94 and Barker Road)" Wisconsin Department of Transportation Travel Information website; access date July 19, 2011