Goi, Rode, Goi!
|Goi, Rode, Goi!
Гой, Роде, Гой!
|Studio album by Arkona|
|Released||October 28, 2009|
|Recorded||October 2008 – May 2009 at CDM Records, Gigant Records and Astia studios|
|Genre||Pagan metal, folk metal, black metal|
|Producer||Masha "Scream", Sergei "Lazar"|
Goi, Rode, Goi! (Russian: Гой, Роде, Гой!) is the fifth full-length album by the Russian pagan metal band Arkona. It was released on October 28, 2009 through Napalm Records. "Goy, Rode, Goy!" means "Hail, Rod, Hail!". Rod is the Slavic Great God, Father of the Universe.
The album has a large cast of guest vocalists and musicians, most notably on the track "Na Moyey Zemle" which features vocalists from Månegarm of Sweden, Obtest of Lithuania, Menhir of Germany, Skyforger of Latvia, and Heidevolk of the Netherlands. Each sings in their native language, playing the role of warriors from that region describing their homeland to a traveler.
The album was also one of the band's few to be released on LP, strictly limited edition, with only 500 printed, each individually hand numbered with blue pen marker. Gatefold, two LPs, plain white inner sleeves, it is all very well put together, released by Napalm Records and made in Germany. There is a reversal of the order of songs "Pritcha" and "Na Moey Zemle" in comparison to the CD version, leaving four songs to each side of a record except for side B which has only the two.
|Metal Hammer (Germany)||5/7|
The album received positive international reviews. About.com marked a combination of powerful vocals with deep and dynamic compositions but observed a mostly light-hearted atmosphere reminiscent of Finnish humppa metal acts like Finntroll and Korpiklaani. The reviewer rated Arkona as one the best pagan bands. The German Sonic Seducer wrote that this album was more epic and more orchestral but also more playful than previous releases. Metal Hammer Germany lauded singer Arkhipova's vocal range and the consequent traditionally Russian melody lines.
All songs written and composed by Masha "Scream", except where noted..
|1.||"Goi, Rode, Goi!" (Гой, Роде, Гой!)||Hail, Rod, Hail!||6:13|
|2.||"Tropoyu Nevedannoy" (Тропою неведанной)||On the Unknown Trail||6:24|
|3.||"Nevidal" (Невидаль)||The Wonder||4:34|
|4.||"Na Moyey Zemle" (На моей земле)||In My Land||15:10|
|5.||"Pritcha" (Притча)||The Parable||0:54|
|6.||"V Tsepyakh Drevney Tayny" (В цепях древней Тайны)||In the Chains of an Ancient Mystery||6:26|
|8.||"Liki Bessmertnykh Bogov" (Лики бессмертных Богов)||Faces of Immortal Gods||5:19|
|9.||"Kolo Navi" (Коло Нави)||Kolo of Nav||4:18|
|14.||"Nebo Khmuroye, Tuchi Mrachnyye" (Небо Хмурое, Тучи Мрачные)||Sullen Sky, Gloomy Clouds||10:28|
- Masha "Scream": clean, screaming and death vocals, choir, keyboards, percussion
- Sergei Lazar: electric & acoustic guitars, balalaika
- Ruslan "Kniaz": bass
- Vlad "Artist": drums, percussion
- Aleksandr: accordion
- Vladimir Cherepovskiy: bagpipes, tin whistle, low whistle, recorder, ocarina & flute
- Cosmin "Hultanu" Duduc: alphorn (track 1)
- Kaspars Bārbals: bagpipes
- Jan Liljekvist: flute, violin (track 4)
- Vasily Derevyanniy: domra
- Vladimir "Volk": bagpipes, recorder
- Dmitriy "Vetrodar" mandolin
- Baalberith, Edgar "Zirgs", Erik Grawsiö, Heiko Gerull, Joris "Boghtdrincker", Mark "Splintervuyscht", Peter, Sadlave: vocals (track 4)
- Alexsandr "Shmel", Ilya "Wolfenhirt" choir
- Produced by Masha "Scream" & Sergei "Lazar"
- Recorded, engineered, mixed & mastered by Sergei "Lazar"
- "ARKONA: 'Goi, Rode, Goi!' Trailer Available". Blabbermouth.net. 2009-09-04. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- Pacheco, George. "Arkona - 'Goi Rode Goi'". About.com. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- Eck, Markus (2009). "Arkona - Goi Rode Goi". Sonic Seducer (in German) (11).
- NPR 307LP; Copy Number 010/500
- "Arkona - Goi Rode Goi!". Metal Hammer (in German) (11). 2009.