Going Where the Lonely Go
|Going Where the Lonely Go|
|Studio album by Merle Haggard|
|Recorded||June 1982, Britannia Studio, Hollywood, CA and Woodland Sound Studio, Nashville, TN|
|Producer||Merle Haggard, Lewis Talley|
|Merle Haggard chronology|
Going Where the Lonely Go is an album by American recording artist Merle Haggard, released in 1982. It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot Country Albums chart. The album bore two singles, both of which reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart: the title track and "You Take Me For Granted" (the latter track written by Haggard's wife, Leona Williams).
Going Where the Lonely Go was recorded during the same sessions that produced Big City.
Allmusic critic Thom Jurek stated in his review: "Haggard and the Strangers were one of the tightest and most sophisticated bands in country music, inspired by the elaborate arrangements of Bob Wills' band, to the point where Haggard's music from this period transcends country music in its appeal and elegance. It's a pity this one didn't get the notice it deserved — it's a masterpiece." Music critic Robert Christgau didn't think as highly of it, writing "... material that might be touching from a more austere singer is barely credible, and the three songs that open side two... ooze with the kind of moist self-pity ordinarily encountered only in leaders of the men's liberation movement."
- Going Where the Lonely Go was reissued on CD by Epic in 1990. It contains a hidden track "Now I Know Why I'm Drinkin".
- Going Where the Lonely Go was reissued along with That's the Way Love Goes on CD by S & P Records in 2005.
Track listing 
All tracks composed by Merle Haggard; except where indicated
- "Going Where the Lonely Go" – 4:48
- "Why Am I Drinkin'" – 2:40
- "If I Had Left It Up to You" – 2:35
- "I Won't Give Up My Train" (Mark Yeary) – 4:33
- "Someday You're Gonna Need Your Friends Again" (Leona Williams) – 4:02
- "Shopping For Dresses" (Little Jimmy Dickens, Haggard) – 2:35
- "You Take Me For Granted" (Leona Williams) – 2:40
- "Half a Man" (Willie Nelson) – 4:05
- "For All I Know" – 3:56
- "Nobody's Darlin' But Mine" (Jimmie Davis) – 3:34
- "Now I Know Why I'm Drinkin" Hidden Track- 7:47
- Merle Haggard – guitar, vocals
- Jimmy Belkin – fiddle
- Roy Nichols – guitar, harmonic
- Biff Adam – drums
- Norm Hamlet – steel guitar, dobro
- Dennis Hromek – bass
- Tiny Moore – fiddle, mandolin
- Bobby Wayne – guitar, background vocals
- Leona Williams – background vocals
- Mark Yeary – piano
Production notes 
- Produced by Merle Haggard & Lewis Talley
Chart performance 
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||3|
- Jurek, Thom. "Going Where the Lonely Go > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- Christgau, Robert. "Going Where the Lonely Go > Review". Robert Christgau. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- Going Where the Lonely Go > Review. Rolling Stone.
- Allmusic entry for Going Where the Lonely Go/That's the Way Love Goes. Retrieved December 2009.