Gold Reef City
|Slogan||The City Without Limits|
|Location||Johannesburg, South Africa, johnnesburg also known as city of gold|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
Gold Reef City is a large amusement park in Johannesburg, South Africa. Located on an old gold mine, the park is themed around the gold rush on the Witwatersrand. Park staff wear period costumes of the 1880s, and the buildings on the park are designed to mimic the same period. There is a museum dedicated to gold mining on the grounds where it is possible to see a gold-containing ore vein and see how real gold is poured into barrels.
There are many attractions at Gold Reef City, not the least of which are water rides and roller coasters. The liveshows of Idols South Africa are filmed live in the "Hippodrome", a large auditorium based in the park.
Rides and attractions
There are numerous rides ranging from log flume rides to an inverted coaster. Some of the popular rides at the theme park include:
- Anaconda. This is the only inverted roller coaster in the world built by the coaster design company Giovanola, and is currently the record holder for the fastest and tallest inverted roller coaster in Africa.
- River Rapids
- Jozi Express, which is a high-speed roller coaster built and manufactured by the German amusement park ride manufacturer Zierer.
- Tower of Terror (also known as the Shaft of Terror). This roller coaster was originally designed by Swiss designer Ronald Bussink, manufactured by local companies, and built by the park themselves. It is a vertical-drop roller coaster which features a drop of 47 meters, and a pull-out which features a positive G-force of 6.3 Gs. This coaster is also the record holder for the current tallest and fastest roller coaster in Africa.
- Golden Loop, originally White Lightnin' at Carowinds, known for its acceleration and the loss of gravity at points. It is a Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop.
- Giant wheel with 55 metres diameter, may be the largest in Africa
- Miner's Revenge
- UFO, Goes at speeds of 50 km/h.
- Runaway Train
- Dream Boat
There are hotels and restaurants situated all over the city. It also features a children's science museum and a tour of the deepest gold mine in the world. There is also a 4D Movie theater which features 2 movies at a time, with 3d effects, surround sound and chairs which move in sync with the film. Restaurants include:
- OLA milky lane
- Mugg & Bean
- Chip 'n Dip
- King Pie
(Click to enlarge)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gold Reef City.|