|Born||Golden Ameda Brooks
December 1, 1970
San Francisco, California, United States
Brooks was born in San Francisco, California. As a child she was a figure skating competitor and won several trophies. Brooks is also a classically trained dancer; she studied and taught ballet, jazz, and modern dance. Brooks studied literature and sociology, and is a graduate of UC Berkeley. Her concentration was Media Representation of Minorities; her minor was Theater. She earned a Masters degree from Sarah Lawrence College.
In early career, Brooks was active in the Robey Theater Company. On television, she has appeared on The Adventures of Pete & Pete, Promised Land, Linc's, and The Jamie Foxx Show as a girl named Nancy, whom Jamie confuses with Fancy. Brooks also appeared in the number of films, like Hell's Kitchen, Timecode, and Impostor.
Brooks is best known for her portrayal of the character Maya Wilkes (Joan's former sharp-tongued secretary and now acclaimed author) on the CW sitcom Girlfriends, in which she starred from 2000-2008. In 2001, she appeared in an episode of Moesha, portraying her Girlfriends character Maya Wilkes. She directed the 2006 episode titled "Hustle & Dough," and wrote the 2007 episode titled "Snap Back," which featured guest star Erykah Badu. The character Maya is portrayed to be several years younger than the other characters Joan, Toni, and Lynn, but in reality Brooks is the eldest among the actors.
Brooks has won Black Reel Awards for 2004 film Motives, co-starring with Vivica Fox and Shemar Moore. She also starred in Beauty Shop (2005) and Something New (2006). In 2008, she was cast as Kim Kaswell in the Lifetime comedy-drama pilot Drop Dead Diva, but later was replaced by Kate Levering. In 2011, she starred in the independent film The Inheritance. In 2012, Brooks joined the cast of Hart of Dixie for season 2 playing Ruby Jeffries, Mayor Lavon Hayes' ex-girlfriend from high school, who runs against him for mayor. She is good friends with the title character Zoe Hart and a rival of southern belle Lemon Breeland.
|1997||Drive by: A Love Story||Young Tuli||Short film|
|1998||Zero Stress||The Dancer|
|2004||Motives||Allannah James||Nominated – Black Reel Award for Best Actress in the Independent Film|
|2008||A Good Man Is Hard to Find||Rachel|
|2011||The Inheritance||Karen||American Black Film Festival Award for Best Actress|
|2011||The Perfect Gift||Sandra Harris|
|2012||A Beautiful Soul||Anita Stevens|
|2012||In Sickness and in Health||Hope||TV Movie|
|2012||The Great Divide||Kim|
|2015||My B.F.F.||Sharice Brown|
|1993||The Adventures of Pete & Pete||Heather||Episode: "Crisis in the Love Zone"|
|1999||Promised Land||Erica Sims||Episode: "Leaving the Life"|
|1999||Linc's||CeCe Jennings||Series regular, 37 episodes|
|2000||The Parkers||Chris||Episode: "Since I Lost My Baby"|
|2000||The Jamie Foxx Show||Nancy||Episode: "Double or Nothing"|
|2001||Moesha||Maya Wilkes||Episode: "That's My Mama"|
|2002||Haunted||Rachel Landry||Episode: "Abby"|
|2004||Enterprise||Alicia Travers||Episodes: "Storm Front: Part 1" and "Storm Front: Part 2"|
|2005||Eve||LaDonna||Episode: "Testing Testing HIV"|
|2000-2008||Girlfriends||Maya Denise Wilkes||Series regular, 172 episodes
BET Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (2004)
Nominated – NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series (2003, 2008)
|2008||CSI: Miami||Pam Dashell||Episode: "And How Does That Make You Kill?"|
|2011||The Exes||Bree Miller||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2012-2013||Hart of Dixie||Ruby Jeffries||Recurring role, 11 episodes|
- "Golden Brooks Biography". Buddytv.com. 1970-12-01. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Golden Brooks Credits". Tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Golden Brooks | Movies and Biography - Yahoo Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. 2011-04-20. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Hustle & Dough
- Snap Back
- "Breaking News - Development Update: Thursday, August 7". TheFutonCritic.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Golden Brooks Gets Scary!? The Inheritance, Career Moves and More! Exclusive Interview!". UrbLife.com. April 11, 2011.
- Goldberg, Lesley (2012-07-21). "'Hart of Dixie' Enlists 'Girlfriends' Alum as Pal for Zoe (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- 4:59:pm. "It'S A Baby Girl For Actors Golden Brooks And D.B. Woodside » Black Celebrity Kids". Blackcelebkids.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Michaud, Sarah (2014-03-31). "Golden Brooks, D.B. Woodside Welcome a Daughter - Babies, D.B. Woodside, Golden Brooks". People.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.