|The Golden Glider|
|First appearance||Flash #250 (June 1977)|
|Created by||Cary Bates
|Alter ego||Lisa Snart|
Black Lantern Corps
|Notable aliases||Lisa Star, Goldie, Glider|
|Abilities||Olympic-level ice skater, skilled inventor of jewel-themed gadgets and weaponry.|
The Golden Glider is a DC Comics supervillain, the sister of Captain Cold and an enemy of The Flash. She first appeared in Flash #250 (June 1977) and was murdered in Flash vol.2 #113 (May 1996). In the time since, her death has been a constant source of grief for her older brother.
Fictional character biography
Lisa Snart is a figure skater, known by the alias Lisa Star, who has help in her career from her secret coach and lover, The Top, a foe of Flash Barry Allen who dies from complications of duelling with the scarlet speedster. Furious over his death, Snart vows revenge. She adopts an orange ice-skater's costume, a mask, and ice skates which create their own ice flow, allowing her to effectively skate on air. She also has diamonds and jewels that can be used as explosives or hypnotic devices. The Golden Glider seeks revenge against the Silver Age Flash for several years. She frequently collaborates in her heists with her brother, who is very protective of her.
After the death of Barry Allen, Snart retires from crime (she blames Allen himself for the Top's death, not his successor Wally West). She and her brother embark on a career as mercenaries, forming the Golden Snowball Recovery Company.
Eventually she returns to crime, with a series of partners, all code-named "Chillblaine", whom she supplies with a replica of her brother's cold gun. The last of these- described as more intelligent and ruthless than his predecessors- kills Snart  with the weapon she gave him before holding Keystone for ransom with the aid of Doctor Polaris, with Flash only just managing to defeat them. Chillblaine is then himself killed by Captain Cold in retaliation.
In Blackest Night #1, she is reanimated as a member of the Black Lantern Corps. She and her fellow Black Lantern Rogues attack Iron Heights Penitentiary, but Cold is able to maintain control of his emotions of grief long enough to destroy the Black Lantern Glider.
The New 52
In this timeline of The New 52, Lisa Snart's murder has been written out of continuity and she is alive again. Unfortunately she is now dying of a brain tumor. She survives after the tumor is removed, but expresses shame over her brother's actions. Later, she mysteriously appears in South America, now going by the name "Glider" and apparently wielding metahuman abilities. She is shown recruiting Weather Wizard for some unknown purpose after his battle with the Flash. She recruits Heat Wave, The Trickster and Mirror Master to join her faction to extract revenge on Flash, but is stopped with the help of Pied Piper, and her brother.
Powers and abilities
The Golden Glider is an Olympic level figure skater. Thanks to a pair of experimental skates that create their own ice, she is able to skate on any surface, including mid-air. She invented or acquired (depending on the item) a number of jewel-themed gadgets and weapons, such as poisoned rings or hypnosis jewels, and used these to great effect in her crusade against the Flash.
Glider and one of her Chillblaines are featured as one of the villains draining Wally of his speed. Despite being slowed, Wally defeats the pair and leaves them for the police.
In the alternate timeline of the Flashpoint event, Lisa Snart and her brother, Leonard were being brutally beaten by their own father. Later, Lisa killed her father with a gunshot and was arrested for the crime. Lisa is taken to Iron Heights and is then kidnapped by the Rogues. Citizen Cold arrives to try to rescue her, but finds she has been killed by the Rogues member Fallout.
Teen Titans Go!
A teen version of Golden Glider named Ice Kate appeared in an issue of Teen Titans Go! as part of a supervillain duo consisting of herself and her brother, Kid Kold. The two villains were defeated by Kid Flash and Jinx after a botched robbery.
In other media
- Peyton List will portray Lisa Snart on The CW's The Flash. Described as sly, charming, a little sadistic, and not afraid to use her sexuality to get what she wants, this version is a wild child who is anxious to prove to her cold and calculating older brother she has what it takes to be in his criminal gang,
- Beatty, Scott (2008), "Golden Glider", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, p. 140, ISBN 0-7566-4119-5, OCLC 213309017
- Flash (vol.2) #113 (May 1996)
- Blackest Night: The Flash #1 (February 2010)
- Blackest Night: The Flash #2 (March 2010)
- Flash (vol. 4) #6 (April 2012)
- Flash (vol. 4) #7 (May 2012)
- Flash (vol. 4) #10 (August 2012)
- Flash (vol. 4) #11 (September 2012)
- Flash Annual (vol. 4) (October 2012)
- Flash Annual (vol. 2) #4 (1991)
- Flashpoint: Citizen Cold #1 (June 2011)
- Flashpoint: Citizen Cold #2 (July 2011)
- Teen Titans Go! #53 (May 2008)
- "The Flash’ Casts ‘Mad Men’ Actress as Villain ‘Golden Glider". TV Line. November 17, 2014. Retrieved November 17, 2014.
- Alan Kistler's Profile On: THE FLASH
- Golden Glider at Flash: Those Whose Ride the Lightning
- Crimson Lightning - An online index to the comic book adventures of the Flash.