Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
The Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama was first awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association as a separate category in 1951. Previously, there was a single award for "Best Actress in a Motion Picture" but the splitting allowed for recognition of it and the Best Actress – Musical or Comedy.
The formal title has varied since its inception. In 2005, it was officially called: "Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama". As of 2013, the wording is "Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama".
- "†" indicates an Academy Award-winning performance.
- ‡ indicates an Academy Award nomination.
- "§" indicates a Golden Globe Award-winning performance that was not nominated for an Academy Award.
Winners and nominees
|1943||Jennifer Jones †||Bernadette Soubirous||The Song of Bernadette|
|1944||Ingrid Bergman †||Paula Alquist Anton||Gaslight|
|1945||Ingrid Bergman ‡||Sister Mary Benedict||The Bells of St. Mary's|
|1946||Rosalind Russell ‡||Sister Elizabeth Kenny||Sister Kenny|
|1947||Rosalind Russell ‡||Lavinia Mannon||Mourning Becomes Electra|
|1948||Jane Wyman †||Belinda MacDonald||Johnny Belinda|
|1949||Olivia de Havilland †||Catherine Sloper||The Heiress|
|2010||Natalie Portman †||Nina Sayers / The Swan Queen||Black Swan|
|Halle Berry||Frankie / Genius / Alice||Frankie and Alice|
|Nicole Kidman ‡||Becca Corbett||Rabbit Hole|
|Jennifer Lawrence ‡||Ree Dolly||Winter's Bone|
|Michelle Williams ‡||Cindy Hiller||Blue Valentine|
|2011||Meryl Streep †||Margaret Thatcher||The Iron Lady|
|Glenn Close ‡||Albert Nobbs||Albert Nobbs|
|Viola Davis ‡||Aibileen Clark||The Help|
|Rooney Mara ‡||Lisbeth Salander||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo|
|Tilda Swinton||Eva Khatchadourian||We Need to Talk About Kevin|
|2012||Jessica Chastain ‡||Maya||Zero Dark Thirty|
|Marion Cotillard||Stéphanie Ménochet||Rust and Bone|
|Helen Mirren||Alma Reville||Hitchcock|
|Naomi Watts ‡||Maria Bennett||The Impossible|
|Rachel Weisz||Hester Collyer||The Deep Blue Sea|
|2013||Cate Blanchett †||Jeanette "Jasmine" Francis||Blue Jasmine|
|Sandra Bullock ‡||Dr. Ryan Stone||Gravity|
|Judi Dench ‡||Philomena Lee||Philomena|
|Emma Thompson||P. L. Travers||Saving Mr. Banks|
|Kate Winslet||Adele Wheeler||Labor Day|
- Academy Award for Best Actress
- BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Critics Choice Movie Award for Best Actress
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
- List of actors who won the Academy, BAFTA, Golden Globe, SAG, and Critic's Choice Award for a single performance