||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008)|
|Also known as||Golden Gloves of America, GG's|
The Golden Gloves is the name given to annual competitions for amateur boxing in the United States. The Golden Gloves is often the term used to refer to the National Golden Gloves competition, but it also can represent several other amateur tournaments, including regional golden gloves tournaments and other notable tournaments such as the Intercity Golden Gloves, the Chicago Golden Gloves, and the New York Golden Gloves.
The national contest is sponsored and controlled by the Golden Gloves Association of America, Inc. Winners from regional Golden Gloves competitions compete in the national competition, called the Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions. The Tournament of Champions is held once a year, and a new tournament site is selected annually. The US Golden Gloves program is currently organized on a territorial basis to give all sections of the country representation. All tournaments are planned, promoted and directed by the Golden Gloves Charities and within the limits of the amateur boxing code.
The Golden Gloves are open to all non-professional pugilists age 16 and over who are United States citizens. There is also a Silver Gloves amateur tournament, which is for amateur pugilists age 10 to 15 years old.
- Alabama Golden Gloves
- Buffalo Golden Gloves
- Chicago Golden Gloves
- Cincinnati Golden Gloves
- Cleveland Golden Gloves
- Colorado-New Mexico Golden Gloves
- Detroit Golden Gloves
- Florida Golden Gloves
- Hawaii Golden Gloves
- Indiana Golden Gloves
- Iowa Golden Gloves
- Kansas City Golden Gloves
- Kansas-Oklahoma Golden Gloves
- Knoxville Golden Gloves
- Michigan Golden Gloves
- Mid-South Golden Gloves
- Nevada Golden Gloves
- New England Golden Gloves
- New Jersey Golden Gloves 
- New York Metro Golden Gloves
- Omaha Golden Gloves
- Pennsylvania Golden Gloves
- Rocky Mountain Golden Gloves
- St. Louis Golden Gloves
- Syracuse Golden Gloves
- Texas Golden Gloves
- Toledo Golden Gloves
- Tri-State Golden Gloves
- Upper Midwest Golden Gloves
- Washington, D.C. Golden Gloves
- Wisconsin Golden Gloves
Around the World 
Other countries have similar amateur boxing awards, such as Mexico's Guantes De Oro (literally "Gloves Of Gold" in Spanish).
Diamond Belt 
In the past certain amateur tournaments would award the victor with a Diamond Belt as recognition of their amateur championship status. These tournaments were sponsored by various organizations and newspapers in the U.S. with the Philadelphia Inquirer being one of the more notable. Notable Diamond Belt winners include George Foreman, Bobby Chacon, Jimmy McCarter, and Lou Brooks. Mathew Porcellino
Pacific North West Golden Gloves 
Four major Golden Gloves annual tournaments that have taken place include: BC Golden Gloves, Tacoma Golden Gloves, Seattle Golden Gloves and Oregon Golden Gloves. Some notable Canadian boxers to win championships in two or more of the four locations include Frank Albert Scott, Freddy Stephen Fuller, Earl McLeay, Dick Findlay and Clint Page from the Sixties. Mathew Porcellino
BC Golden Gloves 
The annual Golden Gloves tournament in British Columbia, Canada has been a regular event since 1939. The first BC Golden Gloves champions were: Alan Dunn, Bob Hickey, Eric Burnell, Henry Devine, Kenny Lindsay, Phil Vickery and Wayne Morris
Regional and Special Tournaments 
From time to time, there have been special tournaments or regional Golden Gloves tournaments. One that operated from 1954 to the early Sixties was the Vancouver Island Golden Gloves. The first Vancouver Island Golden Boy was Victoria's Bert Wilkinson in 1954. Some of the history was documented in various issues of the "Vancouver Island Boxing News" in 1983, and the "BC Amateur Boxing News" between November 1983 and January 1986. Also, a poster of the 1954 tournament and a photo of Bert Wilkinson was recently used in a video for the induction ceremony of the Greater Victoria Hall of Fame held in November 2009.
See also 
- Amateur Boxing
- Golden Gloves Ltd South Africa
- NCAA Boxing Championship
- Spanish Golden Gloves
- USA Boxing
List of Former Golden Gloves Champions, by division:
- National Golden Gloves Super Heavyweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Heavyweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Light Heavyweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Middleweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Light Middleweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Welterweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Light Welterweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Lightweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Featherweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Bantamweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Flyweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Light Flyweight Champions
- National Golden Gloves Champions By Year All Divisions
- Murphy, Kim; Tanfani, Joseph and Loiko, Sergei L. (April 28 2013). "The Tsarnaev brothers' troubled trail to Boston". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 30 2013.
- Golden Gloves of America official website, http://www.goldengloves.com
- "Buffalo Golden Gloves Boxing - Buffalo New York Chapter". Buffalogoldengloves.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Chicago Golden Gloves, Chicago, IL". Chicagogoldengloves.com. 2012-06-12. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Welcome to the Golden Gloves". Clevelandamateurgg.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "floridagoldengloves.org". floridagoldengloves.org. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Kansas City Golden Gloves - Home". Kcgoldengloves.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Racecol Web Solutions. "Michigan Golden Gloves". Michigangoldenglovesboxing.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "USA Boxing Metro". USA Boxing Metro. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Pennsylvania Golden Gloves.boxing,golden gloves,amateur boxing,olympics,mohammad ali,rocky,pennsylvania,pro boxing,america presents,USA boxing,gold medal,sports,pa.sports,mike tyson,roy jones,de la hoya,arena,gloves,pan am games,goodwill games,ring,womens boxing,champions,sugar ray leonard,rocky marciano". Pagoldengloves.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Rocky Mountain Golden Gloves". Rocky Mountain Golden Gloves. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Saint Louis Golden Gloves - Home". Stlgg.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Welcome". Texas Golden Gloves. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- BC Amateur Boxing News
- "Vancouver Sun", January 27, 1968
- 1984 BC Amateur Boxing Annual, editor Brian Zelley, president George Armson, September 1984
- Howard Curling, former Vancouver Island Amateur Boxing Commissioner
- "The Victoria Daily Times, 1954