Golden Hamster Saga
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Cover artist||Wolf Erlbruch|
|Publisher||Beltz & Gelberg|
|No. of books||5|
The Golden Hamster Saga is a book series written by German author Dietlof Reiche, and translated by John Brownjohn. It was illustrated by Joe Cepeda. The series revolves around a golden hamster named Freddy Auratus, two silly guinea pigs named Enrico and Caruso, a black, civilized tomcat named Sir William, and Freddy's owner, Mr. John, who translates German to English.
All mammals (except humans) in this series communicate in Interanimal, a telepathic language. The only animal who can read and write is Freddy. He goes on adventures with his friends Sir William, Enrico, Caruso, and Tjark (pronounced Ch-ark).
- Freddy Auratus - A smart, golden hamster who can read and write, but only with a keyboard. He can talk in Interanimal, and other pets often ask him to type something to Mr. John for them.
- Enrico and Caruso - Enrico is a smaller guinea pig, while Caruso is a larger one. They often taunt Freddy by saying guinea pigs are superior to golden hamsters. They enjoy singing songs, writing plays and making animals laugh. They are named after the famous opera singer, Enrico Caruso.
- Sir William - Sir William is a 'respectable' tom cat who says he will not kill an animal for food. He also always makes laws for the other pets to obey and is loyal to Mr. John. However, later in the series, Sir William catches mice.
- Mr. John - A human that takes care of all the pets. He can understand Freddy by the words the hamster types on Freddy's computer.
- Tjark (Pronounced ch-ARK) - First appearing in the fifth book, Tjark is a robotic hamster that was built by Goldoni, an Italian scientist. He is friends with Enrico, Caruso, & Sir William.
- Sophie - A young girl, and Freddy's original owner.
There are five books in the series.
- I, Freddy - Follows Freddy going to a new home.
- Freddy in Peril - Freddy is stalked by an evil scientist.
- Freddy to the Rescue - Freddy saves some Field hamsters.
- The Haunting of Freddy - Freddy is haunted by a ghost during his vacation at a castle.
- Freddy's Final Quest - Freddy must fight off Crusaders from the past to return to his own time.