Golden Screen Award (Canada)
The Golden Screen Award, formerly known as the Golden Reel Award, is a Canadian film award, presented to the Canadian film with the biggest box office gross of the year. The Canadian Motion Picture Distributors Association introduced this award in 1976 as part of the Canadian Film Awards until 1979. The Golden Reel became part of the Genie Awards ceremonies in 1980, and is currently part of the Canadian Screen Awards. It was renamed from Golden Reel to Golden Screen as of the 3rd Canadian Screen Awards in 2015.
As the economics of Canadian film production mean that the year's top-grossing Canadian film is often a francophone film from Quebec, the award often — although not always — goes to the same film as the Billet d'or (Golden Ticket), which is presented by the Jutra Awards to the top-grossing film from Quebec.
In 2015, the Academy also introduced Golden Screen Awards for TV Drama/Comedy and TV Reality Show, to honour the highest-rated Canadian shows in each category.
- 1976 - Lies My Father Told Me
- 1977 - Why Shoot the Teacher?
- 1978 - Who Has Seen the Wind
- 1980 - Meatballs
- 1981 - The Changeling
- 1982 - Heavy Metal
- 1983 - Porky's
- 1984 - Strange Brew
- 1985 - La Guerre des tuques
- 1986 - The Care Bears Movie
- 1987 - Le Déclin de l'empire américain
- 1988 - The Gate
- 1989 - La Grenouille et la baleine
- 1990 - Jesus of Montreal
- 1991 - Ding et Dong, le film
- 1992 - Black Robe
- 1993 - La Florida
- 1994 - Louis 19, le roi des ondes
- 1995 - Johnny Mnemonic
- 1996 - Crash
- 1997 - Air Bud
- 1998 - Stargate
- 1999 - Les Boys
- 2000 - Les Boys II
- 2001 - The Art of War
- 2002 - Wedding Night
- 2003 - Les Boys III
- 2004 - Séraphin: Heart of Stone
- 2005 - Resident Evil: Apocalypse
- 2006 - C.R.A.Z.Y.
- 2007 - Bon Cop, Bad Cop
- 2008 - Les 3 p'tits cochons
- 2009 - Passchendaele
- 2010 - De père en flic
- 2011 - Resident Evil: Afterlife
- 2012 - Starbuck
- 2013 - Resident Evil: Retribution
- 2014 - The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
- 2015 - Pompeii
- "Genies race features Quebec films, co-pros". CBC News, March 8, 2012.
- "Resident Evil: Retribution wins Golden Reel Award". CBC News, January 22, 2013.
- "Paul W.S. Anderson's 'Pompeii' Nabs Canada's Box-Office Trophy". The Hollywood Reporter, February 4, 2015.