Golden West Humanitarian Foundation
Golden West Humanitarian Foundation is an American Non-profit (501C3) organisation who develops technologies to address the technical limitations of humanitarian mine clearance. The Golden West Humanitarian Foundation is based in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California.
|Headquarters||Woodland Hills, United States of America|
- 1 History
- 2 Role in Mine Action
- 3 Current Operations
- 4 Past Operations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Role in Mine Action
Research and Development
Explosive Harvesting Program
The Explosive Harvesting Program (EHP) is a manufacturing program which recycles the explosives contained in stockpiled explosive ammunition into the explosive charges used for humanitarian mine clearance.
Cluster Munitions Destruction
Mine Risk Education (MRE)
Undercover UXO: Game for $100 Laptop (OLPC)
GWHF partnered with the Michigan State University M.I.N.D. Lab to develop a game for the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) platform that teaches children the indicators of land mine and unexploded ordnance contamination. This game underwent field trials in Cambodia in June 2010.
The Golden West Humanitarian Foundation has developed what they call the "Indicator Program", which trains people of all ages how to recognize the indicators of land mine and UXO contamination. This program has been deployed in Mozambique, Angola and Azerbaijan, and Cambodia.
Vinh & Trinh's Adventure
The GWHF published an 34-page illustrated storybook titled Vinh & Trinh's Adventure. The book is designed to teach Vietnamese children the dangers of unexploded ordnance, and it has received positive reviews. In 2010, the book underwent a third round of distribution, bring the total number of book published to 6,000.
In Cambodia, the Golden West Humanitarian Foundation is partnered with the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC) to provide research and development support to mine action activities in the Kingdom of Cambodia. These activities include the Explosive Harvesting Program, Mine Risk Education
- "About the Golden West Humanitarian Foundation", Golden West Humanitarian Foundation, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "Explosive Harvesting Program Cambodia", Geneva Center for Humanitarian Demining, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "Implementing the Convention on Cluster Munitions", United Nations Institute of Disarmament Research, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "Undercover UXO: Mine Risk Education game for the $100 Laptop", Dr. Corey Bohil Blog, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "Article: Computer Game Saves Children From Landmine Scourge", Voice of America, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "Landmines: Major Public-Private Partnerships", U.S. Department of States, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "Review of Vinh & Trinh's Adventure by the Journal of Mine and ERW Action", Journal of Mine and ERW Action, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "GWHF Press Release on Vinh & Trinh's Adventure Distribution", Golden West Humanitarian Foundation Official, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "DESTRUCCION DE REMANENTES DE GUERRA EN NICARAGUA", Organization of American States, retrieved 2010-09-11
- "15th Anniversary of U.S.-Vietnam relations UXO Demining Fact Sheet", U.S. Department of State, retrieved 2010-09-11
- Official GWHF Website
- U.S. State Department Humanitarian Mine Action and Unexploded Ordnance Removal report, 15th anneversity of U.S.-Vietnam Relations.
- Golden West HF Partners with Don Bosco Foundation
- Photos of Golden West HF by Ben Johnson
- U.S. DOD Humanitarian Demining R&D Partners List
- LA Times article on GWHF.