Goldring (audio company)
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2013)|
Goldring is an audio equipment manufacturing company that was established in 1906. In 1906, the Scharf brothers started manufacturing phonographs in Berlin, Germany. The company moved to England in 1933 and continued manufacturing cartridges and turntables. The "Juwel Electro Soundbox" phonograph was their own creation and was released in 1926. The Goldring logo was as indication of quality.
In 1954 they released the Goldring 500 magnetic cartridge. This was British made.
Goldring cartridges have been sold in the US since the 1950s and sold all over the world. They range from the budget to high-end. They also sold Swiss made Lenco turntables in the 1970s. For example the Lenco L75 was marketed via Goldring as a GL75.
The Scharf brothers changed their name to Sharp and continued their family business until 1987. At this time, Gerry Sharp sold the company to the Goldring distributor, Veda-UK (which is now part of Armour Home).
Even though Goldring were mainly known for their moving coil cartridges and moving magnet cartridges, turntables etc., they also manufactured later sound cones and headphones.
Current moving coil cartridges
- Goldring Legacy
- Eroica H
- Eroica LX
Current moving magnet cartridges
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (November 2013)|
- 1906 The Scharf Brothers began manufacturing in Berlin, Germany
- 1926 They released their own phonograph, the "Juwel Electro Soundbox" with a Gold Ring logo to denote quality
- 1933 Goldring move to England
- 1954 The Goldring 500 British-made magnetic cartridge is released
- 1958 Goldring 600 Model cartridge launched
- 1960 Goldring 700 Model cartridge launched
- 1973 Lenco GL85 turntable released to great praise
- 1978 900SE II & 900/E cartridges released
- 1987 Family business sold to Veda-UK (Armour Home Electronics).
- 1987-90 Eroica, Epic II, Excel & Elite cartridges released
- 2004 The digital age, Goldring release GR1 turntable
- 2005 Goldring launch the now award winning GR2 turntable
- 2006 Goldring launch the critically acclaimed DR50, DR100 & DR150 headphones
- "Goldring". Goldring. Retrieved 2013-11-02.