A train on the Finucane Island loop,
at the northern end of the Goldsworthy railway.
|Locale||Pilbara, Western Australia|
(near Port Hedland)
|Operator(s)||BHP Billiton Iron Ore|
|Line length||208 km (129.25 mi)|
The Goldsworthy railway, owned and operated by BHP Billiton, is a private rail network in the Pilbara region of Western Australia for the purpose of carrying iron ore. It is one of two railway lines the group operates in the Pilbara, the other being the Mount Newman railway.
In addition to the BHP Billiton network, there are two more independent iron ore rail lines in the Pilbara. One is operated by the Rio Tinto Group, the Hamersley & Robe River railway, while the other, operated by the Fortescue Metals Group, is the Fortescue railway.
Unlike the Mount Newman line, with up to 208 cars per train, the Goldsworthy line only has 90 cars per train. Each rail car carries up to 126 tonnes of ore.
On 15 June 2004, the National Competition Council of Australia received an application from the Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) to use part of the Mount Newman railway and also part of the Goldsworthy railway.
In June 2010, the Australian Competition Tribunal ruled that FMG would be granted access to Rio Tinto's Robe River line and BHP Billiton's Goldsworthy line but not to the busier Hamersley and Mount Newman lines.  Treasurer Wayne Swan suggested that several advantages would accrue from access to the rail lines by third parties. It would increase competition, reduce duplication of infrastructure, and reduce environmental damage.
Access to the rail networks by third parties is governed by the State Agreements Act.
- Rail BHP Billiton website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Rail Rio Tinto Iron Ore website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Infrastructure: Rail Fortescue website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Mt Newman Railway National Competition Council of Australia website, accessed: 6 November 2010
- Junior miners win limited access to Pilbara rail network lloydslistdcn.com.au, published: 1 July 2010, accessed: 4 November 2010
- Watchdog 'can demand Pilbara rail expansion' The Australian, published: 13 May 2010, accessed: 4 November 2010
- BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto angry on open Pilbara rail line news.com.au, published: 28 October 2008, accessed: 4 November 2010
- Report on Current Transport and Communications Infrastructure in the Pilbara Murdoch University, accessed: 4 November 2010
- "BHP Billiton places large heavy haul locomotive order". Railway Gazette International. 2 March 2012. Archived from the original on 14 March 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- BHP Billiton website
- Pilbara Railways – rail enthusiast website
- West Aust Railscene eMag (weekly, free) – frequently includes images of, and short notes on, Goldsworthy railway operations