|Motto in English||University at Glance|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Amanullah Khan|
|Director||Dr. Asif Jamil, Director Distance Education|
|Location||D.I. Khan, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
|Colours||Aero and Green
Gomal University (Urdu: جامعہ گومل), is a public research university located in D.I. Khan in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan. Founded and established in 1974, the university is one of the oldest institution in the country, and occupies one of the largest campuses in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province.
Gomal University is one of the reputable universities in Pakistan offering a wide range of courses both at undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels besides research degree programs in most of the departments. It consisted of four faculties of science, with a strong emphasizes on natural and medical sciences courses. The Gomal University is affiliated with the HEC and NTS. The university was founded by Prime minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, and the donation comes from the Allah Nawaz Khan after donating the large area of his land to the establishment of the University. Allah Nawaz Khan was also the Gomal University's first vice-chancellor in 1974.
The Gomal University was established as chartered and co-educational university. The university is the 12th oldest university in terms of HEC's seniority listings. The university was founded by Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto who laid the establishment of the Gomal University in D.I.Khan, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province. In 1974, Prime minister Bhutto laid down the foundation stone of Gomal University on 1 May 1974 putting forward his educational policy of highly educated Pakistan to meets the modern world challenges in every aspect of life. Notably, the donations and land was provided by Nawab Allah Nawaz Khan who served as the university's first and founding vice-chancellor. Nawaz Khan donated 11000 Kn agricultural land to the establishment of the University.
The Act No. X of 1974 provides the constitutional establishment of the university as a public research university categorization of Ministry of Education (MoEd). The post-graduate schools of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, States and Economics were founded in 1974. The business school and the school of mass communication were founded in 1974 as well. In 1975, the Department of Pharmacy started its classes; the faculty of agriculture was established and began its classes in December 1979.
Institute of Engineering and Technology
The Institute of Engineering and Technology of Gomal University grants Bachelor of Science degrees in Tele-Systems, Electronics, Telecommunications engineering disciplines. The school also awards Master of Science degree in Telecommunications network. The Gomal University also grants undergraduate degrees in Law,. The institute awards bachelor's degree in following disciplines:
- Bachelor of Science
Gomal University Law College
The Law College is one of the constituent colleges of Gomal University dedicated to the promotion of legal education. The Law College grants degree in LLB degree and it consisted of 11 registered faculty members in the Law college.
Gomal College of Veterinary Sciences
The Gomal college of veterinary sciences was established as the "Institute of animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences. The college constituted grants Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine academic degrees. The College is under the jurisprudence of the Ministry of Food Agriculture and Livestock.
Graduate schools and departments
The university offers master programmes, in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics, and Biological science. The research on physics began in 1974, after the physics department gained independence from Peshawar University the following year. Earlier, the Physics Department was established in Government Post-Graduate College (GPGC) under the University of Peshawar in 1968 and was transferred to Gomal University in 1974. During the same time, scientist A Q Khan joined the research faculty and briefly taught courses on physics as a visiting professor. The Gomal university currently focused its research and development in Radiation Physics, Particle Physics, Plasma Physics and Computational Physics (as well as Monte Carlo integration).
Gomal University offers following degrees:
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Telecommunication Engineering)
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Commerce (Hons)
- Bachelor of Education
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology)
- Master of Science in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Master of Computer Science
- Master of Science in Health and Physical Education
- Master of Science in Biology
- Master of Science in Chemistry( world )
- Master of Science in Economics
- Master of Science in Mathematics
- Master of Science in Physics
- Master of Science in Statistics
- Master of Arts in Islamic Studies
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in Pak Studies
- Master of Business Administration (Banking & Finance)
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Education
- Master of Arts (English)
- Master in Public Administration
- Master in Public Health
- "Overview of Gomal University". Campus Overview. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "History of Gomal University". History of Gomal University. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Addresses of Chartered Universities". HEC. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Seniority listings". Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "University's first department". Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- GU. "Gomal University Business Department". Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- GU. "Mass Communication in GU". Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- GU. "Faculty of Pharmacy". Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- GU. "faculty of agriculture". Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Institute of Engineering and Technology". Institute of Engineering and Technology. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Law College.". Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- Staff Report, PPI (December 8, 2003 Monday). "Dr A. Q. Khan Auditorium inaugurated". Dawn Archives, 2003. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- Law College GU. "The Law College". Law College GU. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Gomal College Of Veterinary Sciences". Gomal College Of Veterinary Sciences. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Master Programme in Physics".
- "Masters in Mathematics".
- "Master of Economics". http://www.gu.edu.pk/N/faculties/Science/economics/Courses.asp.
- "Biological sciences".