|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
|Elevation||238 m (781 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Santali|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gomia (also spelt as Gumia) is a census town in Bokaro district in the Indian state of Jharkhand. The modern name is a transformation of Gumia over the years. Though, till date, it is still Gumia for the South Eastern Railway (India) (station code GMIA). Gomia is one of the six administrative blocks of Bokaro district
Gomia took shape around the year 1956, when the Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI as its popularly known as), set up commercial explosives (IEL) factory here. It was developed with a residential colony to house the 3500 employees that would work in the factory. Since then, Gomia has been an epitome of diversity - with people of different nationalities, cultures and religious beliefs coming together to write a new chapter in the history of the then Hazaribagh district. Since then, though Gomia didn't move physically on the Earth's platter, it switched districts twice, first becoming a part of Giridih and then becoming a part of Bokaro district as and when the two districts were formed.
As of 2001[update] India census, Gumia had a population of 45,532. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Gumia has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 74%, and female literacy is 52%. In Gumia, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Gomia block has a population (1991 census) of 201,989. It comprises one hundred and forty five villages at the time of census.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (September 2013)|
Orica's IEL factory is the lifeline of Gomia. More than 80% of the population benefits from the factory, directly or indirectly.
Annual turnover of IEL is approx 10000 Crs. Central Coal Field Limited(CCL)'s The people of Gomia are also depend on CCL Colliery. Bokaro Thermal Power Station's It is also near by Gomia.(appox. 5 km.)
IEL factory is also known as Gomia Explosives.
Gomia town is headed by the head of the factory.
Few Heads of the Factory -
- Mr. Thampi
- Mr. VK Bahari
- Mr. GT Jejurikar
- Mr. VK Mushran
- Mr. Dileep Deshpande
- Mr. D Adhikary
- Mr. Ravi Pratap Sinha
- Mr. Rajesh Sharma
- Mr. Udit Baluja
- Mr. Sanjay Singh
Some Active Politicians
- Madhav Lal Singh (MLA)
- Chatru Ram Mahto (Ex MLA)
- Jitendra Sharma (Ex President of BJYM, Gomia And Secretory of LIAFI, LIC Gomia Branch)
- Mohan Kumar (President of BJP, Gomia)
- MD Rizwan Union Leader (Organizing secretory Indian Explosives workers union Gomia works )
Gomia lies on one of the first railway links that got set up in Chota Nagpur Plateau. It is on the Gomoh-Barkakhana line. It is well connected with trains to the following places, with the approximate distances shown alongside:
Gomia had its own Air-Strip for Factory's aircraft landing.
Gomia has several interesting spots, including the following:
- Hazaribagh (70 km) - Wild Life Sanctuary, Kanheri Hill, Hazaribag Jheel, Central Jail, St. Columba's College (running for more than 100 years)
- Bagodar block (41 km) - a famous picnic spot
- Parasnath Hills and Sammet Shikharji (76 km), with the highest mountain peak in Jharkhand, 4480 feet above the sea level, it is one of the most important and sanctified holy places of the Jains. 20 out of 24 Tirthankaras (including Parshva) are believed to have attained salvation there.
- Tenu Dam (12 km) - a masonry dam with scenic picnic spots.
- Konar Dam (21 km) - a very good picnic spot with gardens on the fall side of the dam.
- Chharchharia Falls (15 km) - a perennial waterfall in the hills near Lalpania and a good picnic spot.
- Chandru's Falls (5 km) - a wild waterfall in the hills near Narki more
- Konar River (in Gomia) - The beautiful hilly river flows through Gomia. This originates from the Konar Dam and is one of the most popular picnic spots for the Gomians
The major educational institutions in Gomia include:
- Pitts Modern School - Affiliated to the C.B.S.E. board, it has by now produced students who have earned good name for themselves, PMS and GOMIA too . Once Head of Sahodya this School is one of its kind and among the best in the region. The Important thing is that one can find its alumni all around the world.
- DAV Public School,Sawang
- Loyola School, gomia- Affiliated to Jharkhan Academic council
- Modern High School - Affiliated to Jharkhan Academic council
- Shishu Shiksha Sadan Swang
- Gomia High School, Gomia- Affiliated to Jharkhan Academic council
- Nehru High School Gomia - Affiliated to Jharkhan Academic council
- Gomia Inter College Gomia - Affiliated to Jharkhan Academic council
- K. B. College Bermo- Vinoba Bhave University
- Adarsh High School, Gomia
- [Ambedkar High School ,Tulbul] - Affiliated to Jharkhan Academic council
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Gumia
- Orica to form Explosives Venture with ICI India
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.