||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Spanish Wikipedia. (December 2009)|
|Gomortega keule in Biobío Region|
Ruiz & Pav.
Gomortega keule (syn. G. nitida; Spanish names Keule, Queule and Hualhual) is a tree native to Chile. It is the sole species of the genus Gomortega and, according to the APG II system of 2003 (unchanged from the APG system of 1998), of the monotypic family Gomortegaceae, assigned to the order Laurales in the clade magnoliids.
The plant grows only in a very narrow habitat range in coastal central Chile, with an example ecoregion of occurrence being the Chilean matorral. The species is endangered of extinction due to overharvesting, clearing the forests where it is found for agriculture and silviculture.
Gomortega keule produces a yellow edible sweet fruit about 34–45 millimetres (1.3–1.8 in) in diameter, harvested for making a kind of marmalade.
- Gomortega keule in Encyclopedia of the Chilean Flora
- Information on Gomortega keule (in Spanish)
- González (1998). Gomortega keule. 2006. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN 2006. www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved on 11 May 2006. Listed as Endangered (EN A1cd v2.3)
- Pictures and habitat map of Gomortega keule (in Spanish)
- Project developed in Chile on Gomortega keule (in Spanish)
-  (in Spanish)
- Gomortegaceae in L. Watson and M.J. Dallwitz (1992 onwards). The families of flowering plants: descriptions, illustrations, identification, information retrieval. Version: 27 April 2006. http://delta-intkey.com.
- NCBI Taxonomy Browser
- links at CSDL, Texas
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2009). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III" (PDF). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 161 (2): 105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- C. Michael Hogan & World Wildlife Fund. 2013. Chilean matorral. ed. M.McGinley. Encyclopedia of Earth. National Council for Science and the Environment. Washington DC
|This tree-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Laurales-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|