Gone, Gone, Gone (song)
|"Gone, Gone, Gone"|
|Single by Phillip Phillips|
|from the album The World from the Side of the Moon|
|Released||February 11, 2013|
|Writer(s)||Derek Fuhrmann, Todd Clark, Gregg Wattenberg|
|Phillip Phillips singles chronology|
"Gone, Gone, Gone" is a song recorded by American recording artist Phillip Phillips from his debut album The World from the Side of the Moon. It was released on February 11, 2013 by Interscope Records as the second single from the album. The song was co-written by Derek Fuhrmann, Todd Clark, and Gregg Wattenberg, Wattenberg also produced the song himself. "Gone, Gone, Gone" was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), and has sold more than two million digital copies since its release.
Background and composition
The song was co-written by Derek Fuhrmann, formerly of Omnisoul, Todd Clark, and Gregg Wattenberg. Phillips revealed on December 19, 2012 to Yahoo Canada Music that the second single would be "Gone, Gone, Gone".
It’s a good little love song. Todd Clark and Derek Fuhrmann, they wrote [it] and brought it to me and I thought it was a beautiful song. The more I’ve played it live, the more I’ve made it more my own and people seem to really connect with it and really enjoy it so I’m excited to see how that song’s going to do." - Phillip Phillips
"Gone, Gone, Gone" received mostly positive reviews from music critics. Music blog POP! Goes The Charts stated that "it's a solid recording... a much stronger release than "Home"," comparing the arrangement to the John Butler Trio. Lynsey Parker of Yahoo Music wrote that, as a "rousing folk-rock anthem filled with stompy marching-band beats, chanty choruses, winsome guitars, and declarations of undying loyalty, "Gone, Gone, Gone" is arguably just as catchy as "Home," if not more so." Digital Journal called it "a breath of fresh air", while Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly thought the song "melodic and memorable and could easily cement Phillips’ status as a relevant 2013 artist". Simon Cleary of musicinsideu.com praised the lyrical content of the song which he described as being about "the backbone, the cornerstone of true love," and added that "not many people still dare to believe this kind of love exists anymore. Even fewer believe it's possible for them to live true love. Phillip's got the courage to believe, and to live, and to love."
"Gone, Gone Gone" reached No. 12 in the Billboard Bubbling Under chart when Phillip Phillips' debut album, The World from the Side of the Moon, was released on November 19, 2012. It sold 31,000 copies for the week. The song was released to HAC and AAA radio stations on February 11, 2013, and it entered the Billboard Hot 100 at No.100 on March 13, 2013. It climbed to No. 59 the next week after Phillips performed the song on the twelfth season of American Idol which saw its weekly downloads boosted by 257% to 65,000. It reached No. 1 in the AAA chart in April 2013, the Triple A Audience chart, as well as the recurrent AAA chart in July 2013. The song was No. 1 in a total of eight Billboard charts. "Gone, Gone, Gone" peaked at position #24 on the Billboard Hot 100. On August 26, 2013, "Gone, Gone, Gone" became Phillips' second No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart, making him one of the few solo males who've taken their first two Adult Contemporary chart entries to No. 1.
The song sold its first million copies by July 2013, and was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America on August 1, 2013.  It reached its 2 million sales mark in May 2014.
The music video was directed by Joseph Toman and was shot in Springfield, Missouri and Palm Springs, Los Angeles. The video premiered on Phillips's Vevo site on February 15, 2013. The video starts with the stuttering frames of home movie as it begins to play, and Phillips going on a stroll at sunset. It interspersed shots of Phillips singing with grainy home video footage spanning decades to tell the story of love and family and the human experience. "I wanted the video to feel generational, not just about the present, but the people before us that paved the way," says the director, "It's a celebration of life, and hopefully a piece that everyone can find something in to relate to."
On January 16, 2013, Phillip Phillips performed the song on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live! to coincide with the twelfth season premiere of American Idol. Phillips performed the song on the March 14 results show on the twelfth season of American Idol. He subsequently performed the song on a number of television shows, including NBC's Today and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He was also invited to the pregame show for Super Bowl XLVIII where the song was performed.
In popular culture
The song was used in the farewell videos for eliminated contestants during the twelfth season of American Idol on the results show usually broadcast on Thursdays. The song played in the background while highlights from the eliminated candidate's run during the show were shown.
"Gone Gone Gone" was used in a campaign by Do Something and VH1 to rally young people to create a crowd-sourced music video. The best user-submitted videos were mixed into a Band Together cover of the song released on YouTube.
Charts and certifications
|US Billboard Hot 100||61|
|United States||February 11, 2013||Adult album alternative, Adult contemporary music||Interscope Records|
|May 28, 2013||Top 40/Mainstream radio|
- Grady Smith (December 19, 2012). "Phillip Phillips announces next single 'Gone Gone Gone': Hear it here!". EW.com.
- Soybel, Adam. "SINGLE REVIEW: Phillip Phillips - "Gone, Gone, Gone"". Wordpress. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Lyndsey Parker (February 15, 2013). "Phillip Phillips Debuts New "Gone, Gone, Gone" Video". Yahoo Music.
- Papadatos, Markos (Feb 24, 2013). "Review: Phillip Phillips releases new single 'Gone, Gone, Gone' to radio". Digital Journal.
- Smith, Grady. "Phillip Phillips announces next single 'Gone Gone Gone': Hear it here!". USA Today.
- Brian Mansfield (November 28, 2012), "Phillip Phillips' album debuts at No. 4", USA Today
- Paul Grein (March 13, 2013). "Week Ending March 10, 2013. Songs: The Record-Setter That Isn’t #1". Yahoo Music (Chart Watch). Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- Mansfield, Brian (2013-03-20). "Phillip Phillips' 'Idol' return means big sales boost". Idol Chatter (USA Today). Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- Billboard Hot 100 - Phillip Phillips
- Fred Bronson (April 26, 2013), "'American Idol' on the Charts: Sales Kick In For Fantasia's Latest", The Hollywood Reporter
- Fred Bronson (July 5, 2013). "'American Idol' on the Charts: Phillip Phillips' 'World' Keeps Getting Bigger". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- Fred Bronson (February 24, 2014). "'American Idol' on the Charts: Taking a New 'Look' at an Old Carrie Underwood Song". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- "Phillip Phillips Chart History: The Hot 100". Billboard.
- Gary Trust (August 26, 2013). "Phillip Phillips Scores Second AC No. 1 -". Billboard.
- Paul Grein (July 10, 2013). "Week Ending July 7, 2013. Songs: The Actress in the Top 10". Chart Watch (Yahoo).
- "American single certifications – Phillips, Phillip". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 14, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Grein, Pauk (May 28, 2014). "Chart Watch: Meet Iggy Azalea!". ChartWatch. Yahoo Music.
- "Phillip Phillips "Gone" (Joseph Toman, Dir.)". Videostatic.
- "Watch PHILLIP PHILLIPS Video for New Single'Gone, Gone, Gone'!". Music World.com. February 15, 2013.
- Michele Amabile Angermiller (February 15, 2013). "'American Idol' Phillip Phillips Releases 'Gone, Gone, Gone' Video Amid Family Drama". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Natasha Shankar (February 24, 2013). "Editor's video pick: Phillip Phillips "Gone, Gone, Gone"". She Knows Entertainment.
- Fred Bronson (March 22, 2013). "'American Idol' on the Charts: Phillip Phillips' Live Performance Boosts 'Gone, Gone, Gone'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Rickey Yaneza (June 28, 2013). "Phillip Phillips – Home and Gone Gone Gone – Today Show". Rickey.
- "Phillip Phillips Performs on The Tonight Show". Phillip Phillips Online.
- Chloe Melas (February 2, 2014). "Phillip Phillips & The Band Perry Rock Out During Super Bowl Pregame Show". Hollywood Life.
- "DoSomething.org and the VH1 Save The Music Foundation Release Crowd-Sourced Music Video with Phillip Phillips to Save Music Education Programs". PR Newswire.
- "Phillip Phillips - Gone Gone Gone (Band Together Cover)". YouTube.
- "The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) Soundtracks". IMDb.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Phillip Phillips.
- "Icelandic Singles Chart". Tonlist.is. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Phillip Phillips.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Alternative Songs for Phillip Phillips.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Phillip Phillips.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Phillip Phillips.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rock Songs for Phillip Phillips.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Phillip Phillips.
- "Phillip Phillips Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rock Airplay for Phillip Phillips.
- "Canadian single certifications – Phillip Phillips – Gone Gone Gone". Music Canada. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Phillip Phillips – Gone, Gone, Gone". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 23, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- PHILLIP PHILLIPS "Gone, Gone, Gone"
- "Top 40/Mainstream - Future Releases". Archived from the original on April 30, 2013.
"Please Remember Me" by Scotty McCreery
|American Idol Farewell Song
Season 12 (2013)
"Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson