|Location||St. Augustine, Florida, USA|
|Built||circa 1723, 1775-1786, 1790|
|Architectural style||Stone Vernacular|
|NRHP Reference #||70000845|
|Added to NRHP||April 15, 1970|
|Designated NHL||April 15, 1970|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gonzalez-Alvarez House.|
The González-Alvarez House, also known as The Oldest House, is a historic home in St. Augustine, Florida. It is located at 14 St. Francis Street. On April 15, 1970, it was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark.
The "Oldest House" title dates from a period when the house was believed to have been built in the 16th century. The current title of oldest house in America is contended by a historic house in Santa Fe, New Mexico and arguably also by Acoma Pueblo.
The house is owned by the St. Augustine Historical Society and is open for public tours as part of the Oldest House Museum Complex. Evidence can be seen of the Spanish, British and American occupations of St. Augustine.
List of families who lived in the oldest house
- First Spanish Period
- 1725-1873, family of Tomas Gonzales y Hernandez & Maria Francisco de Guevara
- British Period and Second Spanish Period
- 1775-1790, Joseph Peavett & Maria Evans
- Second Spanish Period and into statehood
1790-1882, Family of Geronimo Alvarez & Antonia Vens
- Up to the Present
- 1882-1918, William B. Duke family (1882-1884), Mary Carver and Dr. Charles P. Carver (1884-1898), James W. Henderson family (1898-1911), George T. Reddington and the South Beach Alligator Farm 1911-1918
- 1918- St. Augustine Historical Society
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Oldest House Museum". Florida Heritage Tourism Interactive Catalog. Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs. 2007-09-23.
- Gonzalez-Alvarez House at National Historic Landmarks Program
- Wilson, Leslie (2002). "Families who lived in the Oldest House, St. Augustine, Florida ca. 1720s to 1918 / Leslie Wilson.", St. Augustine Historical Society, 1(28).
- Official website
- Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- Oldest House Museum Complex at Florida's Historic A1A Coastal Scenic Byway
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. FL-138, "Gonzalez-Alvarez House, 14 Saint Francis Street, Saint Augustine, St. Johns County, FL", 14 photos, 21 measured drawings, 37 data pages