Good Day (Jewel song)
|Single by Jewel|
|from the album Goodbye Alice in Wonderland|
|Writer(s)||Jewel Kilcher, Kara DioGuardi, Greg Wells|
|Jewel singles chronology|
"Good Day" is a song by the American recording artist Jewel. It was released as the second single from her sixth studio album, Goodbye Alice in Wonderland. The song was written by Jewel, Kara DioGuardi and co-written and produced by Greg Wells.
Background and composition
"Good Day" is a midtempo soft ballad, written by Kilcher, Kara DioGuardi and Greg Wells and produced by Wells. The song opens with her standing in front of her fridge at midnight, drawling: "I might make a wish – if I believed in that shit."
Caroline Sullivan from The Guardian wrote that in the song "some of Jewel's twittery soul-searching has been replaced by healthy cynicism." Catie James from Blogcritics wrote that the track has "a playful, no nonsense attitude".
The video for the song is another allusion to the film The Wizard of Oz (In Goodbye Alice in Wonderland, Jewel mentions the "Goodbye yellow brick road"). The inside of the house is black and white, and outside is colorful. The pathway is made of yellow bricks. Similar to the story, the world outside of the house is originally a much nicer place, but slowly becomes less dreamlike and more cruel.
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||30|
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Goodbye Alice in Wonderland – Jewel | Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Sullivan, Caroline (May 19, 2006). "Jewel, Goodbye Alice in Wonderland | Music | The Guardian". The Guardian. guardian.co.uk. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- James, Catie. "CD Review: Jewel's Goodbye Alice in Wonderland – Blogcritics Music". Blogcritics. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Good Day by Jewel Songfacts". Songfacts. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- "Jewel Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Jewel. Retrieved March 16, 2012.