Good Doctor (TV series)
Promotional poster for Good Doctor
|Written by||Park Jae-bum|
|Directed by||Ki Min-soo
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer(s)||Kim Sung-geun|
|Running time||Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 (KST)|
|Production company(s)||Logos Film|
|Original channel||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Original run||August 5, 2013– October 8, 2013|
|Followed by||Marry Him If You Dare|
Good Doctor (Hangul: 굿 닥터; RR: Gut Dakteo) is a 2013 South Korean medical drama television series starring Joo Won, Moon Chae-won, Joo Sang-wook, Chun Ho-jin, Kwak Do-won and Ko Chang-seok. It airs on KBS2 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 20 episodes beginning August 5, 2013. Joo Won plays an autistic savant who becomes a genius pediatric surgeon.
- He is a miner's son who witnessed domestic violence from his father beginning at a very young age. Because of his developmental disorder that's a type of autism, he gets a specialized education at a care center, where they discover that he's a savant. Shi-on has genius tendencies, an exceptional memory, and has a keen perception of space within the human body. With the help of a guardian, he eventually becomes a pediatric surgery resident, but his personality remains that of a grade schooler.
- A pediatric surgeon with a strong sense of duty. She chose to become a doctor after volunteering in a children's cancer ward in high school, and entered Korea's best medical school as the second best of her class. With her hard work and brains she becomes a fellow at a relatively young age. She never hesitates to speak up in front of her bosses, but has an easy-going personality with a tomboyish nature.
- The youngest doctor to become a pediatric associate professor. He entered medical school at the top of his class, and is a cold-hearted perfectionist. He blames himself for the death of his developmentally disabled younger brother Su-han, which causes him to treat Shi-on harshly.
- Kim Min-seo as Yoo Chae-kyung
- Do-han's fiancee. She is a manager on the planning board for a large university hospital. As the only daughter to the foundation's director, she's keenly aware of the nepotism prejudice and proves her worth by being cool-headed, capable, and assertive.
- Sungwon University Hospital officials
- Chun Ho-jin as Choi Woo-seok, hospital director; He had been with Si On since his big brither died, he was the one who raised him and had been with him until he finished his studes. The one who recommended Si On to the Hospital and would always back him up at all cost.
- Kwak Do-won as Kang Hyun-tae, deputy director
- Na Young-hee as Lee Yeo-won
- Jo Hee-bong as Go Choong-man, chief of the Pediatric Surgery department At first he wants the postion of being a hospital director, he hates Si On first but had wamed up to him and even to his 
- Lee Ki-yeol as Lee Hyuk-pil, managing director of the hospital foundation
- Jung Man-shik as Kim Jae-joon, chief of the Hepatobiliary-Pancreatic Surgery department
- Kim Chang-wan as Chairman Jung
- Department of Pediatric Surgery
- A warm and friendly fourth-year resident, who first approaches Park Shi-on when he is shunned by the others.
- Yoon Park as Woo Il-kyu, second-year resident
- Yoon Bong-gil as Hong Gil-nam, second-year resident
- Wang Ji-won as Kim Sun-joo, intern
- Nursing division
- Ko Chang-seok as Jo Jung-mi, senior nurse A jolly nurse who is one of first friend of Si On is the hospital, had a crush on the head nurse.
- Jin Kyung as Nam Joo-yeon, head nurse
- Lee Ah-rin as Ga-kyung
- Ha Kyu-won as Hye-jin
- Children's ward
- Kim Hyun-soo as Na In-hae she has intestinal issues and one of Si On's close friends who always give him advise about love and serves as a bridge between Si On and Yoon-seo. She had always trust Si On and even willing to transfer hospital to where Si On plans to work when he was almost fired
- Uhm Hyun-kyung as Na In-young
- Ahn Sung-hoon as Lee Woo-ram
- Yoo Je-gun as Park Ho-suk
- Lee Jang-kyung as Kim Ye-eun
- Oh Eun-chan as Cha Dong-jin
- Yoo Hae-jung as Eun-ok
- Jung Yoon-seok as Kyu-hyun
- Extended cast
- Yoon Yoo-sun as Oh Kyung-joo, Shi-on's mother
- Jung Ho-geun as Park Choon-sung, Shi-on's father
- Choi Ro-woon as young Shi-on
- Seo Hyun-chul as Byung-soo
- Jeon Joon-hyuk as Park Yi-on, Shi-on's older brother
- Ban Min-jung as Kyu-hyun's mother
- Kwak Ji-min as Lee Soo-jin (guest appearance, ep 10-12)
- Moon Hee-kyung as Mrs. Jang, Soo-jin's mother-in-law
- Kim Sun-hwa as Eun-ok's aunt
- Ryu Deok-hwan as adult Yi-on (cameo, ep 10)
- Seo Kang-joon as one of the punks who want to beat up Shi-on (ep 12)
- In Gyo-jin as Soo-jin's husband (cameo, ep 12)
- Yoo Jae-myung as the killer (ep 15)
- Kim Young-hee as staff of the family restaurant (ep 17)
- Gong Jung-hwan as Professor of Neurosurgery Department (ep 17)
- Park Ki-woong as Woong-ki (cameo, ep 20)
“Good Doctor” makes strong debut on TV charts. The drama was the most-watched prime time show after drawing in an average viewership rating of 12.45 percent on August 5 and 6, AGB Nielsen Media Research (Nielsen Korea) showed on Wednesday. On November 2013, the series received award from Korea Association for the Welfare of the Disabled. This is to thank the entire crew for creating awareness on autism and how socially challenged individuals can contribute to the society.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||5 August 2013||10.5%||10.3%||10.9%||11.6%|
|2||6 August 2013||13.6%||14.6%||14.0%||15.1%|
|3||12 August 2013||13.8%||14.6%||15.3%||16.2%|
|4||13 August 2013||15.9%||16.9%||15.8%||15.8%|
|5||19 August 2013||16.5%||17.6%||18.0%||18.5%|
|6||20 August 2013||18.4%||20.4%||19.0%||20.0%|
|7||26 August 2013||17.2%||18.1%||17.4%||18.2%|
|8||27 August 2013||17.5%||19.0%||18.4%||18.5%|
|9||2 September 2013||17.0%||18.3%||17.4%||17.4%|
|10||3 September 2013||18.5%||20.5%||18.4%||18.3%|
|11||9 September 2013||18.3%||20.2%||18.3%||18.7%|
|12||10 September 2013||20.0%||22.2%||19.4%||19.4%|
|13||16 September 2013||17.5%||19.3%||17.9%||18.4%|
|14||17 September 2013||18.9%||20.3%||18.6%||19.3%|
|15||23 September 2013||18.5%||20.2%||19.6%||20.3%|
|16||24 September 2013||20.9%||22.7%||21.5%||22.8%|
|17||30 September 2013||18.0%||20.5%||20.3%||21.1%|
|18||1 October 2013||19.0%||21.4%||20.6%||21.5%|
|19||7 October 2013||17.6%||20.1%||19.0%||20.0%|
|20||8 October 2013||19.5%||22.4%||19.2%||19.5%|
Awards and nominations
||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Won||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
|Best Writer||Park Jae-bum||Won|
|Best Drama||Good Doctor||Nominated|
||Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Sang-wook||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Won||Nominated|
||Best Couple Award||Joo Won and Moon Chae-won||Won|
|Netizen Award, Actor||Joo Won||Won|
|Popularity Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Won|
|Actor of the Year (selected by directors)||Joo Won||Won|
|Best Child Actor||Jung Yoon-seok||Nominated|
|Best Child Actress||Kim Hyun-soo||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Kim Young-kwang||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Jo Hee-bong||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Jin Kyung||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Mid-length Drama||Joo Sang-wook||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama||Moon Chae-won||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Won||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
- Kim, Gwang-kuk (5 August 2013). "PREVIEW: KBS Mon/Tue Drama Good Doctor". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Mes" is derived from the Dutch word for knife, and is commonly used in Korea/Japan to refer to a scalpel.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (28 May 2013). "Joo Won Cast as Lead of KBS2's Green Scalpel". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (29 May 2013). "Joo Won to Turn Doctor in Medical Drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Lee, Hye-ji (31 July 2013). "Joo Won Ready to Become Good Doctor". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (3 August 2013). "Joo Won Says He'll Showcase a Different Type of Autistic Character". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Han, Jae-hee (20 August 2013). "Unusual doctor in spotlight". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Jeon, Su-mi (5 June 2013). "Moon Chae Won Cast in Green Scalpel as Joo Won's Costar". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (3 August 2013). "Moon Chae Won Says She Aims to be More Professional Than Pretty". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (4 June 2013). "Joo Sang-uk Joins Medical Drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Joo Sang-wook ready to play doctor". KBS Global. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (3 August 2013). "Joo Sang Wook was So Stressed about Good Doctor That He Nearly Went Bald". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- An, So-hyoun (24 June 2013). "Kim Young Kwang Cast for Good Doctor". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (4 September 2013). "Good Doctor Delivers Meaningful Cameos". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "Park Ki Woong Compliments Joo Won's Acting in Good Doctor". Soompi. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Good Doctor the final Cameo is Park Gi-Woong". Innolife. 10 October 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "“Good Doctor” makes strong debut on TV charts". tenasia.com. 7 August 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Drama ‘Good DOctor'receives award from Korea Association for the Welfare of the Disabled". Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- Lee, Cory (2 January 2014). "Kim Hye-soo Reclaims Glory, Good Doctor, Secret Love Win Big at the 2013 KBS Drama Awards". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-02-01.