Good Friday Appeal
The Good Friday Appeal is an annual fundraising activity to raise money for The Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne. Individuals and businesses, clubs, schools and country towns throughout the state conduct activities to raise money for the Hospital.
The Appeal is a non-political, non-denominational organisation that exists solely to financially support The Royal Children’s Hospital.
The Appeal started in 1931 when groups of journalists from The Herald and Weekly Times Ltd organised a sporting carnival in aid of Melbourne hospitals. The proceeds from the appeal initially went to different hospitals each year, but from their third year proceeds have gone exclusively to the Melbourne Royal Children’s Hospital. In 1942, Sir Keith Murdoch as Managing Director and Editor of The Herald agreed that The Herald and radio station 3DB (now MIX 101.1) should broadcast an all day appeal on Good Friday. In 1957, Channel 7 joined the appeal and presented a three-hour telethon on Good Friday afternoon. In 1960, the telethon adopted the day-long format which continues annually to this day.
During the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, the telethon was also re-broadcast through regional Victoria via local channels, with Prime Television being the sole regional broadcaster from 1992 with the aggregation of regional markets.
|Year||Amount raised (A$)|
- van den Berg, Lucie; McGee, Gillian (23 April 2011). "Good Friday Appeal raises $15.2m". Herald Sun. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- http://www.goodfridayappeal.com.au/about-us Good Friday Appeal - About Us - History
- Jones, Kate (6 April 2007). "Good Friday Appeal achieves fund-raising record". Royal Children's Hospital. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "New record for Good Friday Royal Children's Hospital Appeal". News Limited. 11 April 2009. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- Betts, Marianne; Firkin, Katherine (3 April 2010). "2010 Good Friday Appeal breaks record, raises $14.462 million for RCH". Herald Sun. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- O'Connell, Brigid (30 March 2013). "Victorians open their big hearts to raise $16.4 million for Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal". Herald Sun. Retrieved 30 March 2013.