Good Morning (Kanye West song)
|Song by Kanye West from the album Graduation|
|Released||September 11, 2007|
Sony Music Studios
(New York, New York)
The Record Plant
|Label||Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam|
|Writer||B. Taupin, E. John and K. West|
|Graduation track listing|
"Good Morning" is a song by American hip-hop artist Kanye West. It serves as the opener for his third studio album, 2007's Graduation. The song was produced by West and contains samples of "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" as sung by Elton John. It also contains vocals provided by Connie Mitchell and Tony "Penafire" Williams, concluding with Jay-Z's reiteration of a lyric taken from his own album intro track, "The Ruler's Back". Though not released as a single, a music video directed by Graduation album artwork designer Takashi Murakami was produced for the track.
The music video for "Good Morning" is essentially the result of Japanese pop artist Takashi Murakami bringing to life the various designs he had composed for Graduation's album artwork through the use of cel-shaded animation. Its story takes place within a futuristic metropolis called Universe City, whose inhabitants are anthropomorphic creatures. The protagonist of the video is "Dropout Bear", West's longtime mascot, who – as with previous albums – appears on the cover of Graduation. The story chronicles Dropout Bear overcoming various obstacles in an effort to reach his college campus in time for his graduation ceremony.
An edited version of the animated video was used as pre-release promotion for the album. In April 2008, the video was shown in its full length during a tour of Murakami's work at the Brooklyn Museum. The video was also featured in an exhibit at the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. The video was made available to the public upon its release in the iTunes Store on August 26, 2008.
Information taken from Graduation liner notes.
- Songwriters: Kanye West, Elton John, Bernie Taupin
- Producer: Kanye West
- Recorders: Andrew Dawson, Anthony Kilhoffer
- Mix engineer: Andrew Dawson
- Assistant engineers: Bram Tobey, Jason Agel, Nate Hertweck, Matty Green
- Keyboards: Andy Chatterley
- Additional vocals: Jay-Z, Tony "Penafire" Williams, Connie Mitchell
- Graduation (Media notes). Kanye West. Roc-A-Fella Records. 2007.
- "Graduation Commercial". YouTube. 2007-09-08. Retrieved 2008-08-29.
- Vogel, Carol (2008-04-02). "Watch Out, Warhol, Here's Japanese Shock Pop". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 2008-08-30.
- "iTunes release of Good Morning". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. 2008-08-26. Retrieved 2008-08-30.