Good Neighbors (film)
|Directed by||Jacob Tierney|
|Produced by||Kevin Tierney|
|Written by||Jacob Tierney|
|Based on||Chère Voisine
by Chrystine Brouillet
|Music by||Claude Hazanavicius|
|Edited by||Arthur Tarnowski|
|Park Ex Pictures|
|Running time||98 minutes|
Louise (Emily Hampshire) works as a waitress in a Chinese restaurant in the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce neighborhood of Montreal where she lives, she has become obsessed with the story of a recent spate of serial murders committed in the NDG area, and scours Montreal newspapers for stories about each victim. The latest victim is a co-worker who last spoke of a blond, muscular man she met at the bar, and with whom she had a drink after she got off work at midnight.
Louise's wheelchair-bound downstairs neighbor Spencer (Scott Speedman) shares her predilection up to a point, but mostly likes to keep to himself. Few days later, a young elementary school teacher, Victor (Jay Baruchel), moves into the building, having recently returned to the city from a sojourn in China. The three live on separate floors, but become friends.
Victor eagerly wants to make friends with Louise and Spencer, who are reluctant to form a friendship with him as they find him only slightly more agreeable than the drunken, foul-mouthed tenant Valérie (Anne-Marie Cadieux), who hates Louise’s cats. As the trio’s relationships develop, it becomes apparent that each is a troubled character. Louise’s life is focused more on her cats, music of Mozart and Tia Maria, than to humans. Victor is almost a benign stalker, keen to ingratiate himself with the other tenants and to acknowledge their lives, especially Louise, upon whom he appears to develop a crush, inventing an imaginary love life with her. Spencer appears the most well-adjusted and calm of the three, despite his handicap. As the walls are paper-thin, it is hard to keep secrets in this apartment complex. However its manager, Madame Gauthier (Micheline Lanctôt), finds herself completely in the dark when a murder takes place in the building.
- Emily Hampshire as Louise
- Jay Baruchel as Victor
- Scott Speedman as Spencer
- Xavier Dolan as Jean-Marc
- Gary Farmer as Roland Brandt
- Kaniehtiio Horn as Johanne
- Anne-Marie Cadieux as Valérie
- Micheline Lanctôt as Madame Gauthier
- Pat Kiely as Bilodeau
- Nathalie Girard as Nightclub Waitress
- Sean Lu as Mr. Chou
- Jacob Tierney as Jonah
- Kevin Tierney as Jérôme Langlois
- Whistler FF 2010: Review of Jacob Tierney's fantastic thriller GOOD NEIGHBOURS
- Jacob Tierney's unneighbourly conduct - The Globe and Mail
- First Clips of 'Good Neighbours'
- Magnolia Films Acquired Rights to ‘Good Neighbours’
- Good Neighbours Moves in with Magnolia Pictures
- Magnolia Thrills to "Good Neighbours"