Goodnews Bay, Alaska
|Incorporated||July 9, 1970|
|• Mayor||Daniel Schoenten|
|• Total||3.7 sq mi (9.6 km2)|
|• Land||3.7 sq mi (9.6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||26 ft (8 m)|
|• Density||65/sq mi (25.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Alaska (AKST) (UTC-9)|
|• Summer (DST)||AKDT (UTC-8)|
As of the census of 2000, there were 230 people, 71 households, and 47 families residing in the city. The population density was 72.6 people per square mile (28.0/km²). There were 87 housing units at an average density of 27.5 per square mile (10.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 5.65% White, 92.61% Native American, and 1.74% from two or more races.
There were 71 households out of which 45.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 31.0% were married couples living together, 23.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.4% were non-families. 32.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.24 and the average family size was 4.04.
In the city the age distribution of the population shows 36.1% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 17.4% from 45 to 64, and 7.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 105.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 122.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $16,250, and the median income for a family was $21,563. Males had a median income of $31,250 versus $0 for females. The per capita income for the city was $6,851. About 37.8% of families and 39.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 53.3% of those under the age of eighteen and none of those sixty five or over.
- 1996 Alaska Municipal Officials Directory. Juneau: Alaska Municipal League/Alaska Department of Community and Regional Affairs. January 1996. p. 61.
- "Community: Goodnews Bay". Community Database Online. Juneau: Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Division of Community and Regional Affairs. 2013. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Goodnews Bay city, Alaska". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.