|Initial release||June 28, 2006|
|Operating system||Cross-platform (web-based application)|
Google Checkout was an online payment processing service provided by Google aimed at simplifying the process of paying for online purchases. Users store their credit or debit card and shipping information in their Google Account, so that they can purchase at participating stores by clicking an on-screen button. Google Checkout provides fraud protection and a unified page for tracking purchases and their status. It was discontinued on November 20, 2013.
Google Checkout service became available in the United States on June 28, 2006, and in the UK on April 13, 2007. It was free for merchants until February 1, 2008. From then until May 5, 2009 Google charged US merchants 2.0% plus $0.20 per transaction, and UK merchants 1.4% + £0.20. Google since moved to a tiered cost structure, identical to that of PayPal. Also since this date, Google has discontinued its offer whereby merchants who advertised with an AdWords account were not charged fees on monthly transactions totaling less than ten times their monthly AdWords expenditure.
Google Checkout used to have a program which allowed US IRS Certified 501(c)3 Non-Profit organizations to collect donations online without being charged the standard fee (2.9% + $0.30 per transaction under $3,000 monthly income, with lower rates for larger volumes).
Google Checkout supported customers through multiple channels like Help Center, Help Forums, and email support. Google Checkout Buyers could find help at Google Checkout Buyer Help Center and Merchants could find help at Google Checkout Merchant Help Center and Google Checkout Merchant forum. This is now only available for Google Grants recipients, and only through March 31, 2012.
- Amazon Payments
- Google Wallet
- Electronic bill payment
- Online banking
- Electronic commerce
- List of on-line payment service providers
- "Retiring Google Checkout Announcement". Google. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Google unveils UK payments system BBC News
- "No Processing fees until February 1, 2008". Google Checkout Blog.
- "Google Checkout - Fees".
- Steiner, Ina. "eBay Bans Sellers from Using Google Checkout". AuctionBytes.
- "Google Checkout for Non-Profits". Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- Google Checkout
- Google Checkout API
- The Official Google Checkout Blog
- Google Checkout's page on Facebook
- Google launches payment service
- Google unveils UK payments system
- Donate Google Checkout