List of Google Play edition devices
Google Play edition devices are Google-sanctioned Android phones and tablets that, while not carrying the Google Nexus branding, run an unmodified version of Android, as opposed to "skinned" versions of Android such as Samsung's Touchwiz or HTC's Sense, and are offered in Google's Play Store.
Updates for these devices are delivered by Google (bypassing carriers), but are supplied by the original device manufacturer. Although the updates are not supplied directly by Google, these devices receive Android updates along with the products from the Nexus line.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 - At the Google I/O 2013 keynote, it was announced that a special edition of the Samsung Galaxy S4 would be released in the United States through Google Play on June 26, 2013. Unlike normal versions of the S4 (which ship with Samsung's TouchWiz interface and software), the phone will ship with a stock build of Android 4.2.2 with Google-supplied updates, similarly to Nexus devices. The price of the Google Edition is $649, and sold exclusively through the Google Play Store. On August 5, 2014 the device was retired.
- HTC One - On May 30, 2013, HTC announced that a similar version of the HTC One with stock Android in place of HTC Sense would be released on the same day. The price of the Google Edition is $599, and sold exclusively through the Google Play Store. On March 26, 2014 the price was dropped $100 to $499 and eventually retired on May 19, 2014
- Sony Z Ultra - On December 10, 2013 a Google Play edition of Sony Xperia Z Ultra phone was announced, dropping the Xperia branding, priced at $649, and sold exclusively through the Google Play Store. On April 29, 2014 the price was dropped $200 to $449.
- Motorola Moto G - On January 14, 2014 Google announced and released a Google Edition of the widely popular Motorola Moto G. At the same price as the normal Motorola Moto G ($179) however it receives updates from Google and not Motorola.
- HTC One M8 - On March 25, 2014, the same day HTC announced the HTC One M8, they announced that their new flagship phone would also become available with a Google Play edition. Later that afternoon the listing went live on Google Play, at price tag of $699.
- LG G Pad 8.3 - On December 10, 2013 a Google Play edition of this tablet was announced, priced at $350, and sold exclusively through the Google Play Store.
- Bohn, Dieter. "Pure Android: Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One 'Google Play editions' review". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Pure Android: Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One 'Google Play editions' review". The Verge. Retrieved 13 Nov 2013.
- "HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Play edition Review - Nearly Nexus". AnandTech. Retrieved 13 Nov 2013.
- Klug, Brian. "HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Play edition Review - Nearly Nexus". Anand Tech. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Google Play edition". Google Play. Google. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Google turns the Samsung Galaxy S4 into a Nexus phone, coming June 26th for $649". The Verge. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Play edition
- "HTC One with stock Android announced, launching June 26th for $599". The Verge. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- HTC One (2013) Google Play edition
- HTC One 2013 Google Play Edition now available for just $500
- HTC One 2013 Google Play edition is no longer for sale in the Play Store
- Google Outs Play Edition LG G Pad And Sony Z Ultra, But They’re Still US-Only | TechCrunch
- Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition
- Google Drops The Price Of Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition By $200 – Now Only $449 With Free Shipping
- Google Play edition Moto G now available for $180
- Google announces Play Edition Moto G | The Verge
- HTC One M8 Google Play edition now available for $700
- HTC One (M8) Google Play edition
- LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition