Goose Island Brewery
|Headquarters||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
Goose Island Brewery is a brewery located in Chicago, Illinois, that began as a single brewpub known as Clybourn, which was opened in May 1988 by John Hall in Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois. The larger brewery (as we know it today) was opened in 1995, while the second brewpub, Wrigleyville, was opened in 1999.
On March 28, 2011, Goose Island announced that it will sell its 58% stake in Fulton Street Brewery LLC (the legal name of Goose Island Brewing) to distribution partner Anheuser-Busch. The remaining 42% stake, owned by Craft Brewers Alliance LLC, is also to be purchased by Anheuser-Busch. This ownership, being more than 25%, by a non-Craft Brewer makes Goose Island a non-"Craft brewery." [A]
The beers are distributed across the United States and the United Kingdom, after a large stake of the company was sold to Widmer Brothers Brewery in 2006, and the brewery was able to expand into different markets. The brewer began distributing Matilda west of the Rockies in March 2010. Goose Island outsources the production of some of its beers. Honker's Ale and IPA sold on the east coast is now brewed under contract in New Hampshire.
Goose Island has two brewpubs which both serve brunch, lunch, and dinner. The Clybourn location has specialty food items, such as duck, rabbit, and truffle aioli served with French fries. They serve anything from a burger and fries to homemade sausages and PEI Mussels. The Wrigleyville location serves mostly pub food like burgers and chicken. The brewpubs are supplied by local farmers who raise natural meats; many of the animals are fed the same wheat and grain that was previously used to make the beer, as one sign reads "Beer Fed Pork Served Here."
The Goose Island brewpubs were not a part of the sale of Goose Island Beer Company to Anheuser Busch.
The brewery conducts tours at the Clybourn Brewpub on Saturday (12:30pm, 2pm, and 3:30pm) and Sunday (1pm and 2:30pm).
Goose Island produces a number of beers that are available year-round, as well as some beers that are seasonal. At different times in the past, the brewery has produced dozens of other beers.
In November 2008, Goose Island made news when its small batch of Bourbon County Stout became available for the first time in Western states. That Russian Imperial Stout is cask-conditioned in oak Bourbon barrels, which may include Elijah Craig 18 Year Old Single barrel bourbon, 25-year-old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon," or Jim Beam Bourbon barrels.
|India Pale Ale||India Pale Ale||5.9||55|
|312 Urban Wheat Ale||Wheat ale||4.2||18|
|312 Urban Pale Ale||Pale ale||5.2||30|
|Green Line||Pale ale||5.4||36||Draft only|
|Pere Jacques||Belgian strong ale||8.0||26|
|Pepe Nero||Farmhouse ale||6.4||30|
|Endless IPA||Session IPA||4.7||20||Seasonal (Mar–Aug)|
|Oktoberfest||Oktoberfest beer||6.4||17||Seasonal (Aug–Sept)|
|Rambler IPA||Red IPA||5.7||35||Seasonal (Aug–Nov)|
|Bourbon County Stout||Imperial stout||14+||60||Seasonal (Nov)|
|Bourbon County Barley Wine||Barley Wine||12+||60||Seasonal (Nov)|
|Christmas Ale||Brown ale||7.3||varies||Seasonal (Nov–Dec)|
|Juliet||Sour ale||8.0||15||Available once a year|
- 1989 Silver medal, Wheat Beers category (Chicago Vice Weizen)
- 2006 Bronze medal, Classic English Style Pale Ale category (Honkers Ale)
- Frisbie, Paul (November 9, 2008). "A Chicago Icon Remains Intact". chicago-copywriter.com.
- Noel, Josh and York, Emily (March 28, 2011). "Anheuser-Busch to take over Goose Island". chicagotribune.com.[dead link]
- "Craft Brewer Defined". brewersassociation.org. Brewers Association. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Rocky (December 17, 2008). "Goose Island Beer-Chicago's Finest". hoppsy.com.
- Yue,Lorene (June 8, 2006). "Stake in Goose Island Beer Sold to Anheuser Affiliate". chicagobusiness.com.
- Fullpint, Jonny (March 2, 2010). "Goose Island – Matilda Makes Her Way West". Beer News. The Full Pint.com. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- "Goose Island". Seattle Beer News. March 2, 2010. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- Bryson York, Emily (February 22, 2011). "Goose Island outsources Honker’s, India Pale Ale". chicagotribune.com.[dead link]
- "Press Release 03.28.2011: Goose Island Selects Current Partner Anheuser-Bush for Growth Strategy" (Press release). Chicago, Illinois. March 28, 2011. Retrieved July 14, 2012.
- Goose Island Beer Company at RateBeer.com. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- Beer Advocate, November 4, 2008
- Northern Home Brewers forum, Goose Island Bourbon Barrel Stout.
- Japhe, Brad (26 November 2014). "For Beer Lovers, "Black" Friday Means the Release of a Very Rare Barrel-Aged Stout". LA Weekly. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "New Products". beveragespectrum.com. July–August 2009.
- Our sodas, Goose Island Brewery.
- The Association of Brewers. "Great American Beer Festival Past Winners". greatamericanbeerfestival.com.
- Brewers Association. "World Beer Cup Winners List". worldbeercup.org.