Gopal Balakrishnan is associate professor in the History of Consciousness Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz, working on political thought, intellectual history, and critical theory.
Balakrishnan studied European intellectual history and historical sociology at UCLA during the 1990s with Perry Anderson, Robert Brenner, Rogers Brubaker, and Michael Mann.
Prior to moving to Santa Cruz, he was an assistant professor at the University of Chicago. He is currently a member of the editorial board of the New Left Review.
- Mapping the Nation (coedited with Benedict Anderson), Verso, 1996.
- The Enemy: An Intellectual Portrait of Carl Schmitt, Verso, 2000.
- Debating Empire (editor), Verso, 2003.
- Antagonistics: Capitalism and Power in an Age of War, Verso, 2009.
- 'Speculations on the Stationary State', New Left Review 59, September-October 2009
- Review of Bobbitt’s The Shield of Achilles, New Left Review 23.
- Review of Hardt and Negri's Empire, New Left Review 5.
- ^ Faculty Homepage at UC Santa Cruz