||This article possibly contains original research. (August 2014)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (August 2014)|
گورکھپور ہوائی اڈا
|IATA: GOP – ICAO: VEGK
|Operator||Indian Air Force|
|Elevation AMSL||259 ft / 79 m|
Gorakhpur Airport (IATA: GOP, ICAO: VEGK) (Hindi: गोरखपुर हवाईअड्डा, Urdu: گورکھپور ہوائی اڈا is an airport located in Gorakhpur, in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. Primarily a military facility, it has a limited number of commercial flights as well.
Gorakhpur Airport History:
Gorakhpur has an air force base that serves as an airport from where domestic flights are operated. The airport facilitates flights to the national capital New Delhi on seasonal Jet Airways flights. The airport is situated a few kilometers from the heart of the city and is administrated by the Airport Authority of India.
Gorakhpur air force station is vital for the defence of the eastern part of the country and comes under the Central Air Command (CAC) headquartered at Bamrauli, Allahabad. It has Jaguar fighter planes and a Jaguar training center. The second oldest helicopter unit of Indian Air Force (NO. 105 Helicopter Unit) moved to Air Force Station Gorakhpur in August 1987. Immediately after moving to Gorakhpur, the unit carried out extensive flood relief operations in Bihar. In 1991, the unit carried out flood relief operations in Orissa ex-Bhubaneswar. Recently this unit carried out FROG (Flood Relief and Rescue Operations) in Gorakhpur and Bihar.
Gorakhpur Airport Terminals
Terminal 1: Gorakhpur Airport has a single domestic terminal with a common arrival and departure hall. It has a capacity of 18 arrivals and 18 departures.
Facilities at Gorakhpur Airport
Places to Shop and Eat: There are many shops in and around the airport from where you can buy stationery, magazines, apparel and various other products. Cafes and restaurants are available within the airport premises.
Connectivity with the City
- Bus: The main Gorakhpur bus stand is 10.5 km from the Gorakhpur Airport. There are various local modes of transport such as private car, auto rickshaws through which you can reach the bus stand as they are easily available from the airport and vice versa.
- Rails: Distance between Gorakhpur Airport and Gorakhpur Railway Station is just around 10 km. One can reach the railhead from the airport or vice versa very easily as there are numbers buses, private vehicles, taxis, etc. are available from both of these places. One can hire any of them and can reach the airport or the railway station by spending a very nominal amount.
Gorakhpur Airport Authority
Gorakhpur Airport Authority controls and manages activities of the airport under the guidance of Airport Authority of India.
Airlines and destinations
- Kanpur International Airport
- Lucknow International Airport
- Varanasi International Airport
- Taj International Airport
- Bareilly Airport
- Kanpur Airport
- Faizabad Airport
- Allahabad Airport
- Airport information for VEGK at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
situated about 10 kilometres from Gorakhpur's railway station.