Gord Miller (environmental commissioner)
Gord Miller (born March 27, 1953) is the current Environmental Commissioner of Ontario, Canada. He has served as the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario since 2000. He was reappointed to this position in April 2010 for a third five-year term.
Before his appointment, he worked for the Ontario Ministry of the Environment for 14 years as a scientist, manager of training and development, and as a district manager. He has direct experience with numerous environmental issues, including approval and inspection activities, sewage, drinking water, solid waste management, hazardous waste, noise, air pollution and land use planning.
Mandate of the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario
The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario is an independent officer of the Legislative Assembly who is responsible for reviewing and reporting on the government’s compliance with the Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR). In 2008, the EBR was amended to include annual reports on the progress of activities in Ontario to reduce the use or make more efficient use of electricity, natural gas, propane, oil and transportation fuels  and on the progress of activities in Ontario to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases.
Every year the office releases an Annual Report and an accompanying Supplement. The Supplement contains reviews of each application submitted under the EBR, and of ministries' use of the Environmental Registry. The Annual Report contains articles which elaborate on selected pieces from the Supplement, and articles about developing or significant issues of interest to the ECO.
- 2012/13 - Serving the Public
- 2011/12 - Part 2: Losing Our Touch
- 2011/12 - Part 1: Losing Touch
- 2010/11 - Engaging Solutions
- 2009/10 - Redefining Conservation
- 2008/09 - Building Resilience
- 2007/08 - Getting to K(No)w
- 2006/07 - Reconciling our Priorities
- 2005/06 - Neglecting our Obligations
- 2004/05 - Planning our Landscape
- 2003/04 - Choosing our Legacy
- 2002/03 - Thinking Beyond the Near and Now
- 2001/02 - Developing Sustainability
- 2000/01 - Having Regard
Greenhouse Gas Progress Reports
Since 2008, the ECO has issued annual reports on the Ontario government's progress in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- 2012/2013 - Failing our Future: Review of the Ontario Government's Climate Change Action Plan Results
- 2011/2012 - A Question of Commitment: Review of the Ontario Government's Climate Change Action Plan Results
- 2010/2011 - Meeting Responsibilities: Creating Opportunities
- 2009/2010 - Broadening Ontario's Climate Change Policy Agenda
- 2008/2009 - Finding a Vision for Change
- 2007/2008 - Progress in a Climate of Change - A Review of the Ontario Climate Change Action Plan Annual Report
Energy Conservation Progress Reports
Since 2008, the ECO has issued annual reports on activities in Ontario to reduce the use, or make more efficient use, of electricity, natural gas, propane, oil and transportation fuel. These reports are issued in two volumes: the first volume covers the broader policy framework affecting energy conservation in Ontario, and the second describes conservation initiatives underway, assesses energy savings derived from these initiatives, and measures progress on meeting targets.
- 2012, volume 2 - Building Momentum - Results
- 2012, volume 1 - Building Momentum
- 2011, volume 2 - Restoring Balance - Results
- 2011, volume 1 - Restoring Balance
- 2010, volume 2 - Managing a Complex Energy System - Results
- 2010, volume 1 - Managing a Complex Energy System
- 2009, volume 2 - Rethinking Energy Conservation in Ontario – Results
- 2009, volume 1 - Rethinking Energy Conservation in Ontario
In addition to the above reports, the ECO may make a special report on any matter related to the EBR that, in the opinion of the Commissioner, should not be deferred until the annual report.
- Laying Siege to the Last Line of Defence: A Review of Ontario’s Weakened Protections for Species at Risk (2013)
- Ready for Change? An assessment of Ontario's climate change adaptation strategy (2012)
- Biodiversity: A Nation's Commitment, an Obligation for Ontario (2012)
- Getting it Right: Paying for the management of household hazardous waste (2010)
- The Last Line of Defence: A Review of Ontario’s New Protections for Species at Risk (2009)
- Doing Less with Less: How shortfalls in budget, staffing and in-house expertise are hampering the effectiveness of MOE and MNR (2007)
- Looking Forward: The Environmental Bill of Rights (2005)
- Climate Change: Is the Science Sound? (2002)
- Broken Promises: MNR’s Failure to Safeguard Environmental Rights (2001)
- The Protection of Ontario’s Groundwater and Intensive Farming (2000)
- The Environmental Bill of Rights, 1993 http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_93e28_e.htm#s49s1