Gordon College (Pakistan)
The college year is made up of an annual system: examination are held once every year. Enrollment at Gordon College is in thousands of students, with around hundreds living on campus. The campus has many buildings, which includes an a large stadium (used for hockey, football and cricket), basketball court, tennis courts, and badminton court. The college has a large and historic auditorium.
The history of Gordon College can be traced to 1856 when Christian Grammar High School was established in Raja Bazar near the present campus. The college chapter of the school was opened in 1893 with 14 students as class I. There were six subjects offered at intermediate college: History, Philosophy, Mathematics, English, Persian and Sanskrit.
At the time Gordon College was built, it was outside the city area; with increasing population, the college is now surrounded by commercial and official buildings. It is a mix of old and new style buildings and has lost some of its academic acclaim in the years since it became a state institution. Originally, it was founded as a private, Christian-affiliated institution.
It has a long history and one professor and principal who best represents that history: Dr Ralph Randles Stewart joined the Gordon College, Rawalpindi in 1911 to teach elementary Botany and Zoology to pre-medical students. He served as professor in Botany (1917–1960) and principal of the college from 1934 to 1954.
Gordon College is one of the oldest academic institutions in Pakistan. It offers education services starting from initial college level studies (11th grade in Pakistan) to the Master's degree level.
Degrees are offered in the Sciences and Humanities. Three level of degrees are offered:
- Intermediate (11th and 12th grades, leading to F.Sc and F.A)
- Bachelor (Gordon College has the honor that it is the only public sector or government college in the upper Punjab Potohar region to offer a four-year BS program. The college offers BS in Mathematics,Information Technology, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Political Science, Psychology, Statistics and English.)
- Master's (Currently, Masters in English, Psychology and Political Science is offered.)
Computer Science Education and diploma courses are also offered.
- Shaukat Aziz, of Pakistan
- Sardar Sikandar Hayat Khan, former President and Prime Minister of Azad Kashmir
- Shaikh Rasheed Ahmad, former Federal Minister, Politician
- Zorawar Chand Bakhshi, retired soldier of the Indian Army, has the distinction of being "India's most decorated General"
- Yousuf Khan, chairman Delphi Group, Special Representative of British Telecom at Pakistan.
- General Asif Nawaz, former Chief of Pakistan Army.
- Pervez Khattak, Chief Minister of KPK