Gordon Institute of Business Science
|Gordon Institute of Business Science|
|Location||South Africa Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa|
|Affiliations||University of Pretoria|
Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) is the business school of the University of Pretoria in Pretoria, South Africa, and a leading South African business school. It is located in the heart of Illovo, Johannesburg, close to the Sandton financial and commercial business hub. GIBS is accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and internationally by Association of MBAs (AMBA).
GIBS flagship programmes include the Masters in Business Administration (MBA), Full-time Entrepreneurship MBA, Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration (PDBA), Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) and PHD. In 2012, the GIBS DBA became the first South African doctoral programme in business to receive international accreditation from AMBA. GIBS also offers company-specific programems, executive programmes (including the Global Executive Development Programme), certificate programmes and programmes by the The Centre for Leadership and Dialogue (leadership and dialogue initiatives).
In 2011, an independent research survey by Magnet Communications of business school satisfaction levels among MBA students rated GIBS the top position in 7 out of 10 categories. In 2012, the Financial Times ranked the school 47 for Executive Education Open and 42 for Executive Education Customied, the highest in Africa. A 2011 PMR.Africa national survey of human resource directors/managers and line managers on accredited business schools gave GIBS a Diamond award and gave it the highest overall score in South Africa. Nick Binedell, the director of GIBS, won the Diamond Arrow Award for Individual in the Business School fraternity in South Africa doing most to enhance and develop the relevancy of business schools.
GIBS has consistently been ranked the top business school for executive education (open) in Africa, as well as being placed in the top 50 in the world. In 2012 the Financial Times ranked the GIBS Executive MBA 1st in Africa and 60th in the world.
History and campus
GIBS was established in January 2000 following a contribution by Sir Donald Gordon, the founder of Liberty Life and Liberty International, and a major investment by the University of Pretoria following discussions started in 1998. The business school follows on the university's Graduate School of Management's long tradition of MBA tuition. Founded in 1949, the GSM MBA was the first MBA programme to be launched outside of North America. The GSM as of January 2008 was formally replaced by the Gordon Institute of Business Science.
GIBS is situated in a greenfield campus in the Illovo Boulevard, mixed-use commercial node between the suburbs of Rosebank and Sandton in Johannesburg, with a satellite inner city campus on Pritchard Street. Accommodation is provided on the Illovo campus by the on campus Illovo Lodge. The Illovo campus is served by the Rosebank Gautrain station, with a nearby Gautrain bus stop and the inner city campus by the Johannesburg Park Station.
In 2009, GIBS launched GIBS London in order to capitalise and build on their company-specific programme expertise. Programmes have been run in 22 countries including India, China, Turkey, Dubai, Chile, Brazil, the UK and South Africa. Roger Minton, former Head of Learning and Development and HR Director, was appointed in July 2009 to build GIBS - Europe.
- Sir Donald Gordon
Sir Donald Gordon (born 24 June 1930) is a South African businessman and philanthropist. He was educated at King Edward VII School in Johannesburg before doing his articles to be a Chartered Accountant at the firm Kessel Feinstein (Now Grant Thornton). He founded the Liberty Life Association of Africa in 1957 out of which he formed Transatlantic Insurance Holdings plc, now Liberty International (Property portfolio of £6.2 billion (2009)) and Liberty Holdings Limited (Total assets of R449 billion (2011). He was a co-founder of British company Abbey Life. In June 2005, he was awarded a British knighthood in recognition of his services to arts and business.
Corporate responsibility and sustainability
GIBS is committed to and runs several initiatives in the context of contributing to prepare business for current and future sustainability issues including academic programmes, corporate social responsibility and investment activities, participation in international initiatives, campus greening initiatives and diverse stakeholder dialogue programmes. Sustainability initiatives focus on sustainability at GIBS, environment and community. GIBS participates in responsible leadership initiatives including Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME), The Academy of Business in Society (EABIS) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ).
In 2011, the school had 23 permanent faculty members, 47 adjunct faculty members, 11 international faculty members, 17 extraordinary professors and 1 honorary professor (58% of faculty members hold a doctorate). Past and present faculty members include Gill Marcus (ninth Governor of the South African Reserve Bank) and Nick Binedell.
Company-specific programmes clients includes Standard Bank, Anglo American PLC, Barclays Africa, SABMiller, United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the South African National Treasury. The company-specific programmes have been delivered in 22 countries and include the certificates in Senior Management Development, Wealth Management, Middle Management Development Programme and Foundation Management Development Programme.
- Reputation and rankings
|Financial Times World Ranking||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012|
|Executive Education Customised||49||51||41||38||-||42|
|Executive Education Open||39||38||49||50||49||47|
- Affiliations and accreditations
GIBS is affiliated to South African Business Schools Association (SABSA), African Association of Business Schools (AABS), European Academy of Business in Society (EABIS) and Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME). GIBS is accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and internationally by AMBA
The Centre for Business Analysis and Research is home to the following programmes and initiatives:
- African Business Network
- The Asia Network
- Base of the Pyramid Hub
- Transnet Programme in Sustainable Development
- Vodacom Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Programme
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (April 2013)|
- Kennedy Bungane - CEO of Corporate and Investment Banking, Standard Bank
- Skhumbuzo Ngozwana - Joint Deputy Chief Executive, Cipla Medpro, Cipla
- Mpho Nkeli - Executive Director: Group Human Resources of Alexander Forbes
- Sarita Martin - ABSA group secretary
- Mandy Lamb - Head business development Visa Sub-Sahara Africa
- Craig Nossel - Head Clinical Vitality, Discovery
- Pieter van den Steen - MD Bateman Mineral Recovery
- Vinny Lingham - South African Internet entrepreneur and the founder and CEO of Yola, Inc
- http://www.gibs.co.za/about-us/who-are-we.aspx Retrieved March 20, 2010
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/university-of-pretoria-gibs GIBS Retrieved October 1, 2011
- GIBS DBA degree gets full international accreditation Retrieved 21 August 2012
- Magnet MBA survey rates GIBS tops Retrieved 2 October 2011
- Retrieved 26 May 2010
- http://www.gibs.co.za/default.aspx?pid=63&oid=81&stepid=1&ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ctrlMainPortletContainer=itemid*397876$stepid*2842$iddef*920$idlangver*919$idlayout*919$idmode*2747$languageid*1$previousitemid*397876$ignoreloadedcontrols*True GIBS receives Diamond awards Retrieved 4 October 2011
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/university-of-pretoria-gibs GIBS Retrieved 26 February 2010
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/university-of-pretoria-gibs Retrieved 26 February 2010
- http://www.gibs.co.za Gordon Institute of Business Science Retrieved 15 September 2009
- The Gordon Institute of Business Science
- Retrieved 20 MArch 2010
- http://www.gsm.up.ac.za/ Gordon Institute of Business Science, Pretoria. Retrieved 15 September 2009
- About the Ilovo Boulevard Retrieved March 29, 2009
- Inner City Campus Retrieved May 13, 2011
- GIBS London Retrieved March 20, 2010
- Financial Inspiration
- Donald Gordon: CV
- Corporate Responsibility Retrieved October 2, 2011
- Who we work with; Retrieved 2 October 2011
- SABSA Members Directory Retrieved 7 August 2010
- AABS Member Schools Retrieved 7 August 2010
- EABIS Members Retrieved 7 August 2010
- PRME Academic Institutions Retrieved May 13, 2011
- Centre for Business Analysis and Research Retrieved 7 August 2010
- Standard shuffles bosses Retrieved 6 July 2011
- Skhumbuzo Ngwozana Retrieved 6 July 2011