October 23, 1963 |
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Genres||realistic fiction, adventure, comedy|
|Notable work(s)||Macdonald Hall; Swindle; One False Note;|
Gordon Korman (born October 23, 1963) is a Canadian American author, primarily of novels for children and young adults. He lives in Long Island's Great Neck, New York, with his wife and three children.
Korman wrote his first book unexpectedly when he was twelve years old. While in 7th grade at German Mills Public School, his 7th grade English writing assignment became the manuscript for Korman's first book This Can't Be Happening at Macdonald Hall, the first book in his Bruno and Boots series. Mr. Hamilton, Korman's 7th grade English teacher, was a track and field coach who suddenly found himself teaching English for the first time. Hamilton required students to write a novel during the semester. Korman was the Scholastic Arrow Book Club monitor for the class; after completing the assignment, he mailed his manuscript to Scholastic. This Can't Be Happening at Macdonald Hall was published by Scholastic Press in 1975 when Korman was only fourteen years old, in seventh grade. Before graduating from high school in Thornhill, Ont., Korman wrote and published five books.
Korman has written more than 75 books which have sold more than 17 million copies in a career that has spanned three decades.
Korman was born in Montreal, Quebec, where he lived until 1970. Korman grew up in Thornhill, Ontario just north of Toronto, Ontario and attended German Mills Public School and public high school at Thornlea Secondary School in Thornhill, Ontario. Korman moved to the United States to attend college at New York University where he studied in the film and film-writing department. Korman received a BA from New York University in 1985; his degree was in Dramatic and Visual Writing with a minor in Motion Picture and Television.
Non-series books 
- I Want to Go Home (1981)
- Our man Weston (1982)
- No Coins, Please (1984)
- Don't Care High (1985)
- Son of Interflux (1986)
- A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag (1987)
- Radio 5th Grade (1989)
- Losing Joe's Place (1990)
- The Twinkie Squad (1992)
- The Toilet Paper Tigers (1993)
- Why Did the Underwear Cross the Road (1994)
- The Chicken Doesn't Skate (1996)
- Liar, Liar Pants on Fire (1997)
- The Sixth Grade Nickname Game (1998)
- No More Dead Dogs (2002)
- Son of the Mob (2002)
- Maxx Comedy: The Funniest Kid in America (2003)
- Jake, Reinvented (2003)
- Born To Rock (2006)
- Son of the Mob: Hollywood Hustle (2006)
- Schooled (2007)
- The Juvie Three (2008)
- Pop (2009)
- Ungifted (2012)
Bruno & Boots 
- This Can't Be Happening at Macdonald Hall (1978)
- Go Jump in the Pool (1979)
- Beware the Fish! (1980)
- The War With Mr. Wizzle (1982)
- The Zucchini Warriors (1988)
- Macdonald Hall Goes Hollywood (1991)
- Something Fishy at Macdonald Hall (1995)
Bugs Potter 
- Who is Bugs Potter? (1980)
- Bugs Potter LIVE at Nickaninny (1983)
Jeremy Bloom 
- The D- Poems of Jeremy Bloom: A Collection of Poems About School, Homework, and Life (Sort Of) (1992)
- The Last-Place Sports Poems of Jeremy Bloom: A Collection of Poems About Winning, Losing, and Being a Good Sport (Sometimes) (1996)
Monday Night Football 
- The Quarterback Exchange (1997)
- Running Back Conversion (1997)
- Super Bowl Switch (1997)
- Heavy Artillery (1997)
- Ultimate Scoring Machine (1998)
- NFL Rules! Bloopers, Pranks, Upsets, and Touchdowns (1998)
Slapshots series 
- The Stars From Mars (1999)
- All-Mars All-Stars/The Dream Team (1999)
- The Face-off Phony (2000)
- Cup Crazy (2000)
- Slapshots The Complete Collection (2008)
Nose Pickers series 
- Nose Pickers from Outer Space! (1999)
- Planet of the Nose Pickers (2000)
- Your Mummy Is a Nose Picker (2000)
- Invasion of the Nose Pickers (2001)
- The Ultimate Nose-Picker Collection (2006)
Island series 
- Shipwreck (2000)
- Survival (2001)
- Escape (2001)
- Island Trilogy Bind-Up Book (2006)
Everest series 
- The Contest
- The Climb
- The Summit
Dive series 
- The Discovery (2002)
- The Deep (2003)
- The Danger (2003)
On the Run series 
- Chasing the Falconers (2005)
- The Fugitive Factor (2005)
- Now You See Them, Now You Don't (2005)
- The Stowaway Solution (2005)
- Public Enemies (2005)
- Hunting the Hunter (2006)
Kidnapped series 
- The Abduction (2006)
- The Search (2006)
- The Rescue (2006)
Swindle series 
Titanic series 
- Unsinkable (2011)
- Collision Course (2011)
- S.O.S. (2011)
The 39 Clues series 
Awards and recognition 
- Air Canada Award for promising authors in Canada – at age 17
- Manitoba Young Reader's Choice Award 1991 – Book 1988 The Zucchini Warriors
- American Library Association Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults 2001 – Book 1990 Losing Joe's Place
- American Library Association Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults 1999 – Book 1993 The Toilet Paper Tigers
- American Library Association Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults 2001 – Book 1993 The Chicken Doesn't Skate
- American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults Annotated List 2003 – Book 2001 Son of the Mob: Hollywood Hustle
- American Library Association 2003 Top Ten Best Books for Young Adults Annotated List – Book 2001 Son of the Mob
- 2003 Pacific Northwest Library Association's Young Reader's Choice Award – Intermediate Division (Grades 7–9) – Book 2001 Son of the Mob: Hollywood Hustle
- 2003 Pacific Northwest Library Association's Young Reader's Choice Award – Intermediate Division (Grades 7–9) – Book 2003 No More Dead Dogs
- American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults Annotated List 2004 – Book 2003 Jake Reinvented
- 2011-2012 Charlie May Simon Children's Book Award (Arkansas) for Zoobreak.
- "Official Gordon Korman Web Site". Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "Gordon Korman Biography". Scholastic. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Zlomislic, Diana (April 1, 2009). "Prodigy or precocious?". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Richmond_Hill,_Ontario[unreliable source?]
- B., Niki. "The Stellar Book Award: Gordon Kom". Steller Award.ca. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Gordon Korman; Bernice Korman (1 October 1996). The last-place sports poems of Jeremy Bloom: a collection of poems about winning, losing, and being a good sport (sometimes). Scholastic. ISBN 978-0-590-25516-5. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
-  Externally archived page.
- "2001 Popular Paperbacks". YALSA. Retrieved 2 February 2011. Externally archived page.
- "1999 Popular Paperbacks". YALSA. Retrieved 2 February 2011. Externally archived page.
- "2003 Best Books for Young Adults". YALSA. Retrieved 2 February 2011. Externally archived page.
- "2003 Top Ten Best Books for Young Adults". YALSA. Retrieved 2 February 2011. Externally archived page.
- YRCA Past Winners
- "YRCA Past Winners". PNLA. 2003. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "2004 Best Books for Young Adults". YSLA. Retrieved 2 February 2011. Externally archived page.
- "Charlie May Simon Children's Book Award". Retrieved 7 September 2012.