||This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
Lyon in San Francisco, California
|Residence||Palo Alto, California|
|Other names||Fyodor Vaskovich|
Gordon Lyon (also known by his pseudonym Fyodor Vaskovich) is a network security expert, open source programmer, writer, and a hacker. He authored the open source Nmap Security Scanner and numerous books, web sites, and technical papers focusing on network security. Lyon is a founding member of the Honeynet Project and Vice President of Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility.
Personal life 
Lyon has been active in the network security community since the mid-1990s. His handle, Fyodor, was taken from Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Most of his programming is done in the C, C++, and Perl programming languages. He lives in Palo Alto, California.
Web sites 
Lyon maintains several network security web sites:
- Nmap.Org — Documents the Nmap Security Scanner and provides it for download.
- SecTools.Org — The top 100 network security tools (ranked by thousands of Nmap users)
- SecLists.Org — Archive of the most common security mailing lists
- Insecure.Org — His main site, offering security news/updates, exploit world archive, and other misc. security resources.
Published books 
Lyon has written and co-authored several books:
- Know Your Enemy: Revealing the Security Tools, Tactics, and Motives of the Blackhat Community (Addison-Wesley, 2002, ISBN 0-201-74613-1), co-authored with other members of the Honeynet Project. A 2nd edition is now available (ISBN 0-321-16646-9), as are sample chapters.
- Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent (Syngress, 2004, ISBN 1-931836-05-1). Hacker fiction, but tries to stay realistic. Co-authored with Kevin Mitnick and other hackers. Gordon's chapter is freely available online.
- Nmap Network Scanning (Nmap Project, 2008, ISBN 978-0-9799587-1-7)
Public interviews with Lyon/Vaskovich have been posted by SecurityFocus, Slashdot, Whitedust, Zone-H, TuxJournal, Safemode, and Google. Many of these provide more personal details than his official bio page does.