Gordon David Plotkin, FRS, FRSE (born 9 September 1946) is a theoretical Computer Scientist in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh. Plotkin is probably best known for his introduction of structural operational semantics (SOS) and his work on denotational semantics. In particular, his notes on A Structural Approach to Operational Semantics were very influential. He has contributed to many other areas of computer science.
Plotkin was educated at the University of Glasgow and the University of Edinburgh, gaining his Bachelor of Science degree in 1967 and PhD in 1972 supervised by Rod Burstall.
Plotkin has remained at Edinburgh, and was, with Burstall and Robin Milner, a co-founder of the Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science (LFCS).
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1992, is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and a Member of the Academia Europæa. He is also a winner of the Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award. Plotkin received the 2012 Royal Society Milner Award for “his fundamental research into programming semantics with lasting impact on both the principles and design of programming languages.”
- ^ a b "PLOTKIN, Prof. Gordon David". Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press.(subscription required)
- ^ a b c Gordon Plotkin at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- ^ List of publications from Google Scholar
- ^ Gordon Plotkin from the ACM Portal
- ^ Gordon Plotkin from the Scopus bibliographic database
- ^ List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- ^ Mitchell, J. C.; Plotkin, G. D. (1988). "Abstract types have existential type". ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems 10 (3): 470. doi:10.1145/44501.45065.
- ^ Abadi, M. N.; Burrows, M.; Lampson, B.; Plotkin, G. (1993). "A calculus for access control in distributed systems". ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems 15 (4): 706. doi:10.1145/155183.155225.
- ^ List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- ^ Plotkin, Gordon David (1972). Automatic methods of inductive inference (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh.
- ^ 1975: "Call-by-Name, Call-by Value and the Lambda Calculus"
- ^ A Structural Approach to Operational Semantics by G.D. Plotkin (1981)
- ^ Program Verification and Semantics: Further Work (2004)
- ^ Royal Society Milner Award