Location of Gordonsville, Tennessee
|Named for||Gordon family (early settlers)|
|• Total||7.1 sq mi (18.4 km2)|
|• Land||7.1 sq mi (18.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||538 ft (164 m)|
|• Density||172/sq mi (66.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1285704|
Gordonsville is located at (36.177215, -85.930548).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 7.1 square miles (18.4 km2), of which 7.1 square miles (18.3 km2) is land and 0.039 square miles (0.1 km2), or 0.70%, is water.
Though it is a town it is often referred to internally as the city of Gordonsville. It is governed by an elected mayor and a board of five elected aldermen. It is the duty of the mayor to preside over the monthly council meeting and to break ties among the aldermen but not to directly vote. Gordonsville has its own public works, sanitation, police, and fire departments. Gordonsville is given fire protection by the Gordonsville Fire Department and a mutual aid agreement with the county and other city fire departments.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,066 people, 446 households, and 312 families residing in the town. The population density was 154.3 people per square mile (59.6/km²). There were 463 housing units at an average density of 67.0 per square mile (25.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.84% White, 3.85% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.28% from other races, and 0.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.56% of the population.
There were 446 households out of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.5% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.0% were non-families. 28.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 31.3% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 15.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 91.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,842, and the median income for a family was $45,250. Males had a median income of $29,688 versus $21,442 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,299. About 10.1% of families and 11.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.2% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Tennessee Blue Book, 2005-2006, pp. 618-625.
- Nancy Capace, Encyclopedia of Tennessee (North American Book Distributors, 2000), p. 179.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Gordonsville town, Tennessee". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Tommy Bridges at SABR Baseball Biography Project