|— suburb —|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Bracketed on either side of the railway line by the Western Express Highway and the Linking Road, Goregaon was primarily a middle-class residential neighbourhood. However, the area is now turning into a wealthy suburb. Famous film studios such as Filmistan and Film City are located here.
Goregaon has three major bus depots. The Bus Depot is located in Goregaon East and the Goregaon Bus Station is located at Goregaon West, and is next to the railway station. Goregaon Bus Depot is further away and closer to Oshiwara Bus Depot.
Until the late 1970s, the suburb was sparsely populated with residential localities which sprung up in Nagars such as Unnat Nagar Vibhag 1 to 4, Jawahar Nagar, Motilal Nagar, Bangur Nagar, Shastri Nagar, Lokmanya Tilak Nagar Road 1 to 6, Siddharth Nagar, BEST Colony, Piramal Nagar, Mahesh Nagar in the West and wadis like Pandurang wadi and Jaiprakash Nagar on the East and Manzil like Madina Manzil on the west.
The eastern boundary of the suburb was effectively the Western Express Highway, which separated Goregaon from Aarey Milk Colony.
The housing boom of the 1980s saw expansion in terms of real estate and population density. On the East, newer areas such as Dindoshi, Gokuldham, Yashodham, Saibaba Complex, Oberoi Garden City Film City Road, Amritvan, etc. and on the West, Bangur Nagar, Lokhandwala Complex (now considered a separate suburb) and Link Road were the development hubs. The rail and road infrastructure was stretched as it did not expand.
Besides the above, Goregaon (E) also is home to the recently developed area known as New Dindoshi consisting of the Nagari Nivara Parishad (NNP), a housing scheme for the lower middle class. There are more than 30,000 people living at NNP, distributed between two zones.
Oberoi Garden City, which has started developing recently, is spread across 80 acres, next to Saibaba Complex. It includes Oberoi Mall, home to the second Starbucks coffee shop opened in Mumbai and also Westin Hotel and Offices. Many other residential and business towers are also being developed.
Goregaon is the home of Yashodham High School and Gokuldham High School.
Early history 
||This article may contain original research. (September 2007)|
What is now known as Goragoa Suburb is a conglomeration of four villages: Pahadi, Goregaon, Aarey and Eksar. Goregaon got the railway station in 1862. The suburb was one of the four railway stations between Borivali and Grant Road and was known as Pahadi or Pare. The name of the railway station was subsequently changed to avoid confusing it with Paradi, a railway station in South Gujarat on BB&CI (now Western Railway). On official records, the name of tehasil still appears as Pahadi Goregaon.
The prime land under the mango and guava plantation owned by the Topiwala Desai family was taken over by the Maharashtra government and handed over to the Mumbai Housing Board during the 1950s.
Goregaon is named after a former resident of named Gore. After his death, his wife Mrinal Gore, continued to work to provide drinking water for the area. There are two trusts which are known as Gore trusts.
- Matushree Gomati Hospital
- Life Line Medicare Hospital
- Sai Sparsh Critical Care Centre
- Sabnis Hospital
- Vsudha Hospital
- Clemscok Grp
- Yashada Maternity & Surgical Home
- Sai Diagnostic Pathological Laboratory
- Siddharth Hospital
- Kapadia Nursing Home
- A. B. Goregaonkar English High School
- Adarsh Vidyalaya
- Ashatai Gawankar Primary School
- Bangur Nagar High School
- Gokuldham High School
- Goregaon English School
- I. B. Patel High School
- Jawahar High School
- Kuldeepsingh Diwan High School
- Lakshadham High School
- M. N. English School
- M. T. S. Khalsa High School
- Maharashtra Vidyalaya
- Mount Mary High School
- Nandadeep Vidyalaya High School
- Nivara Vidyalay
- Oberoi International School
- Pradnya Bodhini High School
- Royal Academy
- Ryan International School
- Sanmitra Mandal Vidya Mandir
- Sanskardham Vidyalaya
- Shishu Sadan High School
- Shri Radhakrishna Vidyalaya
- Sir. B. J. Girl's School
- St. John High School
- St. Thomas Academy
- St. Thomas High School
- St. Xaviers High School
- Umedbhai Patel English School
- Universal English School
- Urmi Surgeon High School
- Vibgyor High School
- Vidya Mandir High School
- Vidya Niketan
- Vivek Vidyalaya
- Yashodham High School
- Kuldeep Singh Dewan Junior College
- M. T. S. Junior College
- Pandurang Night School & Junior College
- Patkar College
- Sanskardham Junior College of Science & Commerce
- St. Thomas Junior College
- Vidya Vikas Junior College of Science & Commerce
- Vivek College
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research
- "History of the Church". St. Thomas Church.
- Rashmi Thakrey visit to Goregaon
- Goregaoninfo.com - Information wrapped with Entertainment
- Goregaonkar - Celebrating the Spirit of Goregaon
- Short info on Gokuldham as a hot property in Mid-day newspaper