|Key people||Dolores Gossner Wheeler, CEO & President|
The company also produces UHT shelf stable milk for retail sale, and for the military. Gossner Foods has a contract to supply UHT milk to American troops stationed around the world, with the exception of the Persian Gulf region. Kuwaiti-based company Public Warehousing was awarded that contract, since federal law permits the U.S. military to buy non-American products in combat zones.
The company is headquartered in Logan, and has plants in El Centro, California, and Heyburn, Idaho, and employs more than 500 people. Gossner buys milk from 300 farm families throughout Utah and Idaho.
Edwin Gossner Sr. was born in 1909 in the eastern region of Egliswil-Waldkirch, Switzerland. In 1930, he moved to Burke, Wisconsin, to work in his brother’s cheese factory. After a three-year apprenticeship learning the techniques his brother acquired at the Swiss Cheesemaking School of Switzerland, Edwin took over the factory.
The factory burned down in 1937, so Gossner moved to California where he worked for the Rumiano Cheese Company.
In 1941, Gossner opened a cheese factory in Cache Valley, Utah, a location he chose because the climate and elevation resembled that of Switzerland, and because of the abundant supply of local milk. In 1946, his factory was the largest Swiss cheese factory in the world, producing 120 200-pound (91 kg) wheels of cheese each day.
In 1966, Gossner founded the current company, Gossner Foods.
- BlazeBullock (10 October 2012). "CEO credits Gossner Foods Inc.'s success to teamwork". Deseret News. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- “Dairyman wants to send milk to Middle East.” The Deseret News, 7 April 2008
- "Utah and Idaho dairy farmers donate milk to U.S. military in Iraq." The Salt Lake Tribune, 12 Sept 2009
- Refrigerated Transporter News
- Aggie Insights, Jan 2005
- “Why the taste test? GIs don't prefer Utah milk.” The Salt Lake Tribune, 28 April 2007
- Gossner Foods website
|This food and/or confectionery corporation or company-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|